Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. We have a 1997 RAV4 it has a 5 speed manual trans and is a 4WD. Can you flat tow these behind a motorhome? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't have the owners manual. We looked on line and can't find the info.
We found a towing guide from FMCA and it says a 1999 4WD is towable. Can't find anything on earlier models.
Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
My 2000's owner's manual, on page 180, says AWD+automatics must be off the ground and recommend that AWD+manual be too. There's a specific "if you really, really have to" technique for AWD+manual for short distances, but I think it it requires the front wheels off the ground.

·
Registered
409 Posts
"Just I think it requires the front wheels off the ground."

Worst thing you can ever do with a full time 4x4 is tow with front or rear wheels off the road. But yes, the handbook does say you can tow in an emergency. All 4 wheels must be on the road though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This issue has become all consuming! Ugggg! We did find sections for the 1997 handbook on Toyota.com that had the emergency towing. It said the same thing as LugNut with the exception it did not specify any differences between 4WD Auto or Manual. Also saw a warning as to the 4WD limited slip differentials, do they all have them?
Then we came across a Toyota service bulletin from 2000 stating it was towable as a dingy behind our motorhome.
This is so confusing...... I have attached the Tech bulletin.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We called Toyota yesterday talked to a tech/Forman, have a appt Monday to look at it and run the vin. They said they could contact Toyota as well. We will see what happens and let you all know the out come. Thanks to everyone for the input!

·
Registered
621 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We saw that as well and posted it above.... We are thinking it is OK,to use as our dingy. We will take it in on Monday and check with the tech and go over proper towing procure. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
'99 RAV4.1, 3MZ-FE, E250F 4x4, Torsen Dif
2,163 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I dingy towed my 99 all over the country behind a 41 ft motorhome. I did blow my tranny but it wasn't related to towing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is good to hear! Thanks! Sounds like you like traveling in a RV as we do. We have a 30 gas class A. We wanted something light weight to flat tow. This RAV4 fit the bill...... Then we started hearing " that car is not towable". There is a lot of conflicting info out there. Thanks for your reply!

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I bought it initially for my youngest daughter but she decided she would rather have some cash and my Chevy Trailblazer got totalled so I kept it. I've been steadily upgrading it and doing needed repairs as life events allows. Currently installing a low mileage 5 speed transaxle because I blew the old one when one of the cooling hoses broke.

Here are links to a few of my threads, one of them concerns the brake and gas lines, you really need to inspect those, and check your tranny cooling lines.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/226913-instrument-panel-led-polarity.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/85-...38-replacing-manual-transmission-project.html

And some of my upgrades.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/94-4-1-d-i-y-modifications/206377-1999-4dr-4x4-major-mods.html

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/84-...o-gauges-12v-power-point-usb-power-point.html

Have fun with your RV and RAV4

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow your Rav looks awesome! We have done some of the same repairs... Inc a resr transmission seal. We will keep a eye on the lines you mentioned, thanks for the heads up! We have some oil burning issues we need to address.... We suspect The valve guide seals.... Our RAV has 229k on it. Other than the oil consumption we plan on a new paint job this winter. It's a project! Thanks for the reply!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts