Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2015 RAV4 in November, and the brakes always felt really hard to push on, especially at highway speeds. Everyone kept telling me "oh it's just a heavier vehicle, you have to get used to it..." Well I've driven my dad's tundra and my mom's venza and neither of these vehicles are hard to brake. I ended up rear-ending someone as a result of my car being too difficult to stop. I had 4 car lengths to slow down and slamming on my brake pedal did NOTHING. I called Toyota Customer Experience and they're having an inspector check my vehicle. I also did my own research and found a number of things that could explain my difficulty braking... problem in power assist mechanism, bad booster, hose or check valve, brake line obstruction, problem with vacuum system... so basically, my biggest fear is that they find NOTHING wrong and I'll have to just get a new car because now I'm terrified of driving my car.

So my question is, does anyone else have a 2015 RAV4 and have difficulty braking as well (does the pedal feel hard?)? Or are your brakes super easy to use (like they should be!)? Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
270 Posts
? If pressing the brake pedal does nothing, then obviously there is something wrong.

PS. Wrong forum?

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
So my question is, does anyone else have a 2015 RAV4 and have difficulty braking as well (does the pedal feel hard?)? Or are your brakes super easy to use (like they should be!)? Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

With my 4.3 RAV there is quite a difference between the pressure needed to apply my brakes and applying those on my wife's CR-V. My wife's CR-V's brakes activate "super easily" by comparison, but I would not say that those on my RAV are difficult to apply.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2015 RAV4 has no trouble braking. It is comparable to most every other car I have had. Light pressure gives smooth stops, Firm pressure gives positive stops. And simulated panic stops on an icy driveway takes a bit more pressure when the ABS kicks in. But the brakes always work well, and never take any real effort.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The brakes on my 15 Limited work great. Try test driving another one and compare the braking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
At the first sign of trouble it should have been taken to the dealer. That is why you have a warranty.
What good is this comment? Chastizing OP with a condescending attitude about hindsight is the opposite of constructive. :confused:

Anyway OP, 15' owner here to help with your questions about personal experience regarding Rav brakes. I switched recently to a Rav4 and I did notice a different braking curve than my previous two vehicles. I had more early engagement (over braking) in my previous vehicles, comparatively. The first sudden stops I had to make were hairy to say the least. Nothing defective or anything I perceive as dangerous, but weak IMHO. I wish Toyota would have beefed up the brakes in the LE' model to match the XLE and Limited.

That said sorry about your loss!

·
Registered
283 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And telling the truth is chastising, really? It is solid advice for an obviously clueless car owner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not saying you're wrong, just saying it isn't helpful.

Same as answering a person who locked their key out with questions about how to jimmy the lever with "should keep your keys in your hand when you exit the vehicle" ......of course you should, but this isn't useful advice at that moment and doesn't answer the question being asked.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What good is this comment? Chastizing OP with a condescending attitude about hindsight is the opposite of constructive. :confused:

Anyway OP, 15' owner here to help with your questions about personal experience regarding Rav brakes. I switched recently to a Rav4 and I did notice a different braking curve than my previous two vehicles. I had more early engagement (over braking) in my previous vehicles, comparatively. The first sudden stops I had to make were hairy to say the least. Nothing defective or anything I perceive as dangerous, but weak IMHO. I wish Toyota would have beefed up the brakes in the LE' model to match the XLE and Limited.

That said sorry about your loss!
come on man! we are here to help each other, i dont think that comment is offensive. which is as first owner, if you feel theres something abnormal, you need to go back to your dealer and have it checked or to any toyota dealer.

no offense, but this is not probably your first car or first new car , right? going back to where you bought a vehicle is a default thing to do or have it checked by licensed technician or has experience with it for your safety. or dont drive it all, have it towed-in to the dealer or workshop.

if that dealer did say nothing wrong, you can seek a second opinion from an independent shop or another toyota dealer.

forum is just for gathering information, not really a fix to the problem, but most of the time the facts here help a lot of Ravvy owners. like yourself. :), i put a smiley so you wont be offended.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Same poster and same question on Toyota Nation before it showed up here.
Any chance OP is trying to find an excuse after the accident happened?
Just saying if they have driven their parents Toyotas that are heavier vehicles than a Rav why would you even listen to someone telling you that and not seek advice from said parents or the dealership?:shrug:

·
Registered
17 Posts
come on man! we are here to help each other, i dont think that comment is offensive. which is as first owner, if you feel theres something abnormal, you need to go back to your dealer and have it checked or to any toyota dealer.

no offense, but this is not probably your first car or first new car , right? going back to where you bought a vehicle is a default thing to do or have it checked by licensed technician or has experience with it for your safety. or dont drive it all, have it towed-in to the dealer or workshop.

if that dealer did say nothing wrong, you can seek a second opinion from an independent shop or another toyota dealer.

forum is just for gathering information, not really a fix to the problem, but most of the time the facts here help a lot of Ravvy owners. like yourself. :), i put a smiley so you wont be offended.
You do understand I don't have a car issue right and was trying to add my input to the op's question. Guessing that reading comprehension wasn't a strong suit in school for you. I agree with Shar Pei as previously stated and do not share the same experience as the op.

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
I wonder why the OP has never responded? From responses on Toyota Nation the car was never taken to the dealer for the "braking problem" however corporate was called after the accident about the brakes. Certainly not the way I would have done things.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
I wonder why the OP has never responded? From responses on Toyota Nation the car was never taken to the dealer for the "braking problem" however corporate was called after the accident about the brakes. Certainly not the way I would have done things.

And that makes one wonder as has been intimated in at least one prior response whether this isn't another "unintended acceleration" type of scenario - attempting to blame the brakes for an accident when it may have been caused by driver error . . .

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
Agreed, very suspicious.

·
Registered
189 Posts
oh strippedrav, forget about it. my bad! but you dont have to go that low, if you really went to school.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow, definitely not as many nice posters on here as on toyota nation... i'm a 24 year old woman that doesn't know much about cars. this is my first SUV, and as a result of the trouble braking i've spoken with numerous friends of mine who all said "the car works fine... you have to get used to it... it's just heavier than your sedan... you have to learn how to use ABS... blah blah blah" my first sign of trouble was probably 4 weeks into owning the car, so i got that advice and thought fine, i won't call the dealer. over the next few weeks i had a couple other close calls until i finally got into an accident because of the pedal being too difficult to press. no matter how much pressure i put down, my car would NOT slow down. not my fault, so "driver error" is not to blame. people are so quick to jump to conclusions (and fyi, i wasn't on here for a while because i couldn't log in for whatever reason, and it finally worked today).

all i wanted to know was if other RAV4's felt the same way with braking as mine so i could figure out what to do next. i have an inspector coming to check my car and if he finds nothing wrong, i'm going back to the dealer. if they won't help me, i'm getting a different vehicle. i can't drive a car that i don't feel safe in.

to those who left RESPECTFUL feedback, thank you very much and i appreciate the time you took to respond. to everyone else... stop being so judgmental. not everyone in this world is a car expert, and although it may seem like "common sense" to just go straight to the dealer, i try to get advice first before jumping to conclusions. i trusted those who were close to me on what was happening with my car and unfortunately it didn't work out for me. i wasn't looking for a pity party, just looking for other RAV4 owners to share their experiences. damn, some people sure waste a lot of time arguing

·
Super Moderator
11,100 Posts
darlingm91,

Understand that this dedicated RAV4 forum gets a thousand times the traffic as the RAV area in Toyota Nation. With that in mind we have had many first time posters come aboard and start threads like yours.......little facts or information and blaming Toyota for the "problems" they are enduring. Almost all of those were proven to be trolls and were not being truthful at all.

Since we are now geared to watch for such trolls your post set off the warning bell to many, myself included. It appears that you are indeed sincere and I apologize for our (my) skepticism.

I hope they do acknowledge a problem and repair it after your other repairs are done. This is a good place. Folks watch out for each other and always try to help. Moderators watch it closely so as to protect all members from "undesirables". The members are the ones that help keep the place clean and clear because they report any suspicious activity, spam, or disrespectful members. Those members are removed from the forum. We run a tight ship.

There is a world of information here and all are willing to share it. We judged a book (you) by its cover, don't do the same with us.

You have also learned something.......don't listen to your friends when it comes to you car's safety systems. Go to the dealer, assuming it is in warranty, and let them sort it out. Let common sense prevail.

Rick

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 4.3 is harder to brake than what I am used to as well. They always felt a little soft to me. However my car is 6 years old and I believe has the original braking components (besides pads) so that could be part of the problem.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
+ 1 for RTexasF's comment, and what the Toyota rep finds obviously will be of great interest to darlingm91 as well as members of this forum.

However, ordinarily forum members expect that people who have problems with a vehicle and one which is under warranty at that, especially those which may make it unsafe, will at the first sign of trouble take the vehicle to the dealer for evaluation rather than continuing to drive it and by doing so, possibly place themselves and others in danger. Also, in at least most states operating a vehicle on public roads which cannot be stopped for whatever reason - either mechanical or a driver problem - basically is illegal. For a poster not to have done what ordinarily is considered to be logical raises suspicions and skepticism about the legitimacy of the post.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts