Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is the Aux 3.5 mm jack on the console jack tip-ring-ring-sleeve, or tip-ring-sleeve?

I am trying to supply audio through a 3.5 mm TRS plug to the Aux input in the console, and I am only getting a little noise when I put the radio into Aux.. So I wondered if the jack was some kind of thing oriented to some Apple device.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Good pics as I didn't know the difference between TRS and TRRS. On my '11 RAV4 with the OEM console mounted input jack my input devices use the 3.5mm TRS plug and using my OEM audio and the AUX setting it all works fine. The playback devices I use for MP3, etc. all have amplified outputs as they plug into the RAV4 console input jack. Based upon my experience the OEM audio systems do not have preamps in AUX mode.

Reactions: Carbon

·
Registered
558 Posts
It's a 3-ring connector (TRS => L/R/Gnd). There's no 4th connection usually reserved for mic.

Smartphones usually have 4-ring, but when plugged into a 3-ring, mic is shorted to GND. I think Apple uses a non-CTIA pinout configuration, but when plugged into 3-ring, it doesn't matter.

The AUX isn't really grounded well, so when it's at a different ground potential with the phone, you'll hear noises. I've used an inline 3.5mm ground-loop isolator to eliminate the noise.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks both! I think I have a failure. It is TRS plugs that I have been trying.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
The problem could be a defective TRS jack. Have you tried a different one? I have had a few problems with other devices where the jack was not making proper contacts in the plug. And if the plug has had a lot of use it also can fail to make proper contacts with the jack and I have had to change out a few plugs as well as jacks. Rather annoying when the plug is on a computer and is a direct part of the main board.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts