Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2011 Rav 4 base with 60k on it and 100k Platinum Toyota Extended Warranty. I appear to have a bad Evaporative Canister according to Auto Zone. I have about 10 stored codes: Check Engine light, 4wd light, anti skid light and cruise light comes on but won't engage and flashes when you try to engage it.
The Platinum is suppose to cover everything except listed parts. The canister is not listed. I have read on the net that some dealers will say bad gas caused this and is not coverage under the contaminated gas exclusion. How they can tell that is beyond me since I have been getting normal mileage and no problems at all. Had these codes for 2 weeks now. No stalling, rough idle or drop in mileage. I just did 800 mile road trip and got 32 mpg on one tank. (I was driving from a high plateau to sea level)
Anyone know if they cover this or a strategy to get them to do it? The part alone is 700 and lost of other parts in there too that could be bad. I'm bringing her in on Wednesday.
Thanks for any advice.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Ask the extended warranty folks after it is diagnosed by a dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is the link to the relevant brochure from the Toyota VSA Platinum site. Go to page 3 - look in fuel system category - says charcoal canister is covered: https://www.sc.toyotafinancial.com/web/tfs/pub/contents/vsa/TFS_VSA_Platinum_VSA_eBrochure.pdf

Hi Jim,
Yes, i know that it says it is covered. there is a general exclusion that says any repairs caused by fuel contamination are not covered. That is what I have read about is dealers say you got a bad tank of fuel and won't cover it.
So my question is how would anyone know if you got a bad tank of gas that did this.

Mark

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Hi Mark,

If a dealer is going to give you a problem, as I understand it the VSA is with Toyota corporate, not with the dealer. The dealer does the repair and replacement and Toyota reimburses the dealer. The VSA brochure should be the actual contract and I didn't find anything about exclusions regarding the charcoal canister in the brochure. If a dealer is attempting to insert their own conditions into the VSA that may well be illegal.

About bad gas - you probably could have a sample tested by a lab but it would be unlikely that a dealer could want to charge you for replacing the canister based upon any claim they might make about "bad gas," and if they were, it would appear to be an attempt to gouge the customer. They would need to prove that the canister failure was caused by bad gas and it's not really their call to do so. The VSA's coverage exclusions generally have to do with damage caused by accidents or failure to follow recommended maintenance procedures. If you have questions about it all it would be worth making a phone call to Toyota corporate.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Hi Jim,
Yes, i know that it says it is covered. there is a general exclusion that says any repairs caused by fuel contamination are not covered. That is what I have read about is dealers say you got a bad tank of fuel and won't cover it.
So my question is how would anyone know if you got a bad tank of gas that did this.

Mark
As Blogson mentioned, the VSA is with Toyota corporate, not the dealership. If one dealership gives you any static, you are free to go to another Toyota dealership, and another, etc., if that's what it takes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an FYI for anyone who has thee issues. There is a TSB on water contaminating the EVAP filter and canister. I can not find it here or on the web. It must be for multiple models. This is a $1500 fix. So if you get trouble codes related to the EVAP system, you are covered even if you don't have an extended warranty.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Markmisky,

Did you get your car issue fix under extended warranty? My car might have that issue also and I have extended warranty also. thanks

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
That is also covered by the federal emissions warranty up to 8 years/80k. So in OP's case the extended warranty shouldn't even be needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Markmisky,

Did you get your car issue fix under extended warranty? My car might have that issue also and I have extended warranty also. thanks
My dealer told me there is some Tech Bulletin on this issue for the Rav so Toyota actually paid for it. My warranty was only charged to replaces the gas cap ($50) and a rental car. It was about a $1500 bill for the evap. Expensive piece of plastic with a few bucks of charcoal! Sometimes its just teh gas cap. You might buy one from the dealer first, disconnect the battery or reset the code and see if it goes away. It worked for a friend of mine with a Lexus ES250 (Toyota Camry)
So if you don't have a warranty Toyota should pay for most of it. I know it covers the 2011 not sure of other years .
The evap line is in a bad place. Look inside your filler tube . It is on the left at about 9 o'clock. It should be higher. Very easy for gas to get in there if you over fill your tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts