Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
My RX400H is worn out and I'm replacing it this week with a RAV4. The auto dim mirror on the RX has never worked right. I even had the techs at Lexus check it several times, and they said it is working fine. It does not! There is no discernible difference between a clear rear view and an oncoming car with it brights on.

Is it possible to swap out the auto dim mirror on a Limited with the flip version from a XLE or LE? Will it generate some type of warning light on the dashboard?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
My RX400H is worn out and I'm replacing it this week with a RAV4. The auto dim mirror on the RX has never worked right. I even had the techs at Lexus check it several times, and they said it is working fine. It does not! There is no discernible difference between a clear rear view and an oncoming car with it brights on.

Is it possible to swap out the auto dim mirror on a Limited with the flip version from a LXE or LE? Will it generate some type of warning light on the dashboard?
It's just a straight swap, though on the Limited you may also have a Homelink system in there, I don't think the blind spot monitoring or backup camera use the mirror (some Tacoma models the B/U camera uses the mirror instead of the head unit)
Unplug it, tuck the harness up under the headliner, and pop the plain mirror on.

Bummer as I would have been willing to swap you, but I just tossed my wife's factory mirror a couple of weeks ago after installing a Gentex.

Not sure what was up with your RX mirror, I've been running the Gentex or Donnely mirrors for years and they've been wonderful. That was one of the first mods to my wife's '04 "L" and her '15 XLE

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to the dealership tonight to sign the paperwork. Not that happy with the color, but the options on the vehicle are what I want, except for not having a trailer hitch. I'll ask if swapping the mirror voids the warranty. At the worst, I'll just live with it until the car is out of warranty, then if I'm still unhappy with the auto-dim feature, I'll swap at that time.

Maybe the RX mirror never worked and the dealership just blew me off. As you know, some vehicles have pretty bright headlights and some of them are mounted higher than a standard car. At those times, I just grab the mirror and angle it down so that it doesn't blind me. Same for the side mirrors. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
My experience with auto dim mirrors is pretty positive. It does sound like the RX mirror maybe had a problem. Or, maybe you are expecting too much out of it? I dunno. I mean, it doesn't eliminate lights from showing up in the mirror, but does cut the blinding glare, same as a manual one as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't run out and buy a basic mirror yet if I were you. See how your factory mirror works first.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Is it possible to swap out the auto dim mirror on a Limited with the flip version from a LXE or LE? Will it generate some type of warning light on the dashboard?
I have the limited and am pleased with the performance of the auto dim mirror. I would recommend you give a try before you change it.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I bought and installed a Gentex auto-dim mirror with compass for my '15 XLE and I am very pleased with it's operation. The Toyota auto-dim mirror installed in your LTD is more than likely manufactured by Gentex as well.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,925 Posts
Yes, my 2008 came with the auto-dimming mirror, and it is indeed made by Gentex. It's always worked perfectly--I miss it when I drive my other cars at night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts