Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hitch I looked at on Amazon looked like it connected where the double bar rear bumper guard would install so I emailed the seller for the bumper guard on Ebay and he said no, you cannot use both. But I also posted a question on Yahoo answers and someone there said yes, you can, they can bolt up together.

So which is it? It'd suck to have to get one or the other. But obviously if I had to pick I'd go for the tow hitch. The rear bumper guard has no real practical purpose unless you happen to get hit there and a tow hitch with bike rack installed might work to deflect a minor tap.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
It would be extremely helpful to have pictures of the specific bumper guard you're looking at, in particular showing how it mounts to the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
By looking at those pics I bet you can...may take some tinkering tho...bumper guard may not be as strong, but I'm sure it can be done...

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
The bumper guard is more of a good feeling thing. It will not do much at all to protect the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Although it's hard to see explicitly how the bumper guard attaches to the vehicle, my guess is that it *will* collide with a hitch.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i found mounting instructions via google and they mount using the same threaded holes that the hitch uses...so you might need longer bolts and may have to do some light fabricating but by looking i think i could get it to work...

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I'm thinking even with a bumper guard it's the rear tire that'd be the real issue. This is my third SUV though, including a previous Rav4 and I've never backed into anything. Most times I don't back in. Other people could hit that area and a bumper guard wouldn't do much then. So maybe just the tow hitch? On a side note, I've never pulled anyone out of the snow, if I used a tow line where would that connect to both the Rav and car?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,830 Posts
There are little bumpers you can get that fit into the hitch when you're not using it. Some of them have a step for accessing the roof rack and some are spring loaded for impact protection. This one is called BumpStep and is made by WeatherTech:

·
Super Moderator
11,218 Posts
In all honesty that bumper guard looks like a bad joke to me. It's ugly, won't protect squat, and costs as much as a hitch which is at least practical.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
For only $77 you can get the BumpStep with an NFL logo.
Folks, we are in the wrong business!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts