Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading if you go off road it rips off easily. And I don't see aftermarket skid plates anywhere, so what about just removing it altogether?

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
Somewhere there is or was a thread about this for the 4.3 but I couldn't find it using the forum Search function. If I recall, responses ranged from it is OK to leave it off, to leaving it off will negatively affect aerodynamics, to leaving it off will result in a lot of road spray getting onto engine, and there were more.

·
Registered
731 Posts
If Toyota could save 50 cents per vehicle by not putting the cover on, they would. Obviously it is there for a reason. I would not remove it.

Reactions: bobbyv and pico

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
Since I all but ripped mine off by backing up in too deep snow it's been hanging safely in my garage. Makes oil changes quicker and I haven't noticed any excess debris underneath the engine.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
I left mine on just because I drive through deep snow once in a while and would hate to have the engine, transmission, etc... scraping ice and snow. Also, when snow melts I have to often drive through puddles and the more protection the better. Actually, I would have preferred if the RAV had more protection at the bottom.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$368 is crazy expensive for a piecertain of metal no one sees. You could get a new hood for that much. I see how the 4 connects but not the v6 version. I'll keep my cheap plastic thing. I really wish there were more choices for this car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
besides the cosmetic aspects, the "splash shields" help generate air flow through the cooling module and keep snow from getting up into the belts.

If you have never spit a belt because snow made it into the crank pulley area,getting under the belt, causing the tensioner to go one way then snap back once the snow gets blown out, tossing the belt in the process, you have not enjoyed one of life's truly wonderful experiences at 5 below zero

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
Thanks for digging. I scanned thru them. The first one, from 2008, explains what happened to mine. Since the rear end of the shield isn't mounted well or at all it caught on the deep snow I was stuck in. When two stout friends pushed me backwards the shield ended up coming out in front of the car still attached at it's front mounts.

The second one must be the original source of the supposed aerodynamic advantage. Would love to see someone actually measure that "advantage." Also mentions "Might lose some cooling efficiency without it." Sure, might be better w/o it too.

In any case mine's working well - making my garage wall more aerodynamic AND keeping it cooler. :roll:

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
Thanks for digging. I scanned thru them. The first one, from 2008, explains what happened to mine. Since the rear end of the shield isn't mounted well or at all it caught on the deep snow I was stuck in. When two stout friends pushed me backwards the shield ended up coming out in front of the car still attached at it's front mounts.

The second one must be the original source of the supposed aerodynamic advantage. Would love to see someone actually measure that "advantage." Also mentions "Might loose some cooling efficiency without it." Sure, might be better w/o it too.

In any case mine's working well - making my garage wall more aerodynamic AND keeping it cooler. :roll:

It would seem that if the shield were so important as far as one's RAV is concerned Toyota would have made it to be more substantial. Good to hear that yours is improving your garage's performance! :wink

·
Registered
263 Posts
$368 is crazy expensive for a piecertain of metal no one sees. You could get a new hood for that much. I see how the 4 connects but not the v6 version. I'll keep my cheap plastic thing. I really wish there were more choices for this car.

that's about what most aluminum undertrays go for unfortunately

I like my plastic undertray, keeps everything clean

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
$368 is crazy expensive for a piecertain of metal no one sees.
More info.

[email protected]

The RAV4 skid plate for V6 is made upon order.
Six to ten weeks to delivery.

Must pre-pay

$387.00 - $77.40 (20% discount due to pre-order) = $309.60 + shipping & handling, amount not stated

~25 pounds shipped in cardboard and bubble wrap
from Syracuse, NY

·
Registered
263 Posts
More info.

[email protected]

The RAV4 skid plate for V6 is made upon order.
Six to ten weeks to delivery.

Must pre-pay

$387.00 - $77.40 (20% discount due to pre-order) = $309.60 + shipping & handling, amount not stated

~25 pounds shipped in cardboard and bubble wrap
from Syracuse, NY
that's honestly not bad - i don't need it but if i did i would. weight? vents/doors for oil changes etc?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wouldn't it be cheaper to get a piece of sheet metal cut to size, drill the holes yourself and screw it on?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you have any pics of this installed? Whats the profile like (is there a loss of ground clearance?)
That's why I'm hesitant to install one, these Rav4 don't have a high ground clearance to start with. Looks like 1/2" to an inch loss. Perhaps the skidplateguy on Facebook can answer that one.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,220 Posts
Until someone fabricates a solid plate to protect the $1100 vapor recovery system under the driver's seat floor AND a way to mount it securely, very little attention to upgrading the one under the engine is justified. It's just false security, IMO.

·
Registered
8,593 Posts
Until someone fabricates a solid plate to protect the $1100 vapor recovery system under the driver's seat floor AND a way to mount it securely, very little attention to upgrading the one under the engine is justified. It's just false security, IMO.

Now that (protecting the vapor recovery system) is a project which with your experience and ingenuity you might be able to take on and achieve a good solution! :wink

1 - 20 of 28 Posts