Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Is it worth it at 150,000 miles?

28K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  inmyrav 
#1 ·
I'm looking at used cars right now and am interested in the Rav4. There aren't many in my price range in the area, but I found one (2005 L AWD) that seems to fit the bill. I checked it out and it seems like it was really well taken care of mechanically (one owner) and in terms of exterior, drives really well, sounds good, and has hardly any rust underneath (which is always impressive for NY-based cars).

But the thing is that it has 150,000 miles and costs $8K. This is actually on par with other similar Rav4s in the area with similar mileage. I work mostly from home so honestly only drive maybe 5K per year max at this point, but still I'm worried that it's just too many miles on it already to last. Everyone tells me that Toyotas last forever, but I'm skeptical.

Anyway, I'm having my mechanic look it over, but I've been browsing this forum so figured I'd post to get some feedback. Do you feel like a 2005 Rav4 with 150K on it is getting ready retirement, or ready for another 150K? I know it depends on a bunch of variables (buying from a dealer, not original owner, so repair history is unknown). But hey, never hurts to ask.

#2 ·
It all depends on how it was driven. If the previous owner had a 1 hour commute to work on the interstate, he would have racked up the miles quickly, BUT those were easy miles. The same vehicle with 75,000 tough stop & go city miles would show more wear and tear.

#3 ·
What JuneBug said
if you have found a nice one, I'd expect 200K minimum out if it.

I did have the dreaded head gasket problem with mine, but few do, I gotta say this vehicle has impressive reliability nether-the-less.

I think if you look at the repair history of others here, this vehicle holds up very well, and Consumer Reports agrees.
buying from a dealer, offer them less, the worst they can do is say no

#5 ·
I have a 2004 RAV4 that I purchased new. I love this car, but I can't in good conscious say I will buy another Toyota and I definitely would not buy used RAV4 if it has the original engine. I am literally losing sleep week after week over leaks related to this car. Each month there is some new leak, I have 142K miles; the leaks started at about 110K miles. The valve cover gasket leaks, the rear main seal leaks, there are EVAL leaks. I get the leaks repaired and some other leak crops up. There is some leak now in the rear of the car. I have had so many leaks people have told me I need to just pay a car note on a new car and call it a day. I don't want to give up on my car, but I am NOT a mechanical person YET many days and nights I am under the hood and car looking for leaks; it is too stressful owning this car.

#7 ·
I.m the flip side of AlabamaRav42004 with my 2004 RAV4 with 130,000 miles. I like the vehicle and it's been trouble free.:smile
Engine Oil consumption started at 60,000 miles , I believe it's burning not leaking. At present with 4,000 miles since my last oil change it used almost an extra quart which doesn't bother me at all. I find it uses more if I accelerate hard which I usually do.>:D Oil is cheap. I check the level once a week and fill if needed.0:)

Yet, I too don't thing I'll buy another RAV4. I partial to a softer ride and the new RAV4 are Canadian made, which is as bad as made in the US. I want a Japanese made vehicle.:D

#10 ·
Yup.
We managed to get $3500 in trade on our '04 Rav4-L with 150k on it only after showing the dealer the document that Carmax would give us that for it.
They offered $2500, and my wife told them it wasn't enough and we'd have to buy the used one from Carmax and started to walk when they caved.

In December 2011, we bought my '08 Tacoma with 53k on it for $13k.

For an '05 with 150k... 5k, maybe. 8k, no.

#11 ·
$5,000 tops is what I would be willing to suggest for a clean RAV4.2 with high miles.
- We earlier had a 2002 Volvo V70 wagon, for 8 years and sold it private, with 184,000 miles (297,000 Km) - drove it one year too many, last year was a costly money pit.

$8,000 USD seems rather high, for a 2005 4x4 with 150K miles- maybe its just a NY regional thing.
- we recently bought a mint 2008 v6 Limited (4x4, leather heated & power seats, moon roof, tow package equipped, always dealer serviced since new, one full year left on extended warranty) with 55,000 miles (89,000 Km).
^^ private sale for less than a couple grand, over your budget (if one converts USD, to CDN $$)
- but requires good patience, and six months to find the right SUV / @ right price

Would require you to widen, your vehicle search radius & enjoy the auto hunt / pays to shop around, and don't get caught up in a purchasing rush..."gotta-have-it" now $$ error, usually.
- when one has any used vehicle doubts, listen to your gut feel ...say Pass & thankfully move on

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.