Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 98 Rav has 150k on it but never had the first problem with it until last month, I had to replace my air/fuel sensor and O2 sensors at a cost of $600. A month later my water pump bearing is going and my timing belt is due also costing me another $750. I'm leaning towards getting it repaired as it will be paid off before the end of the year and it would be nice to have no payment. My only worry is that maybe its turning into a money pit and I'd be better off using this money toward a new one. I really like the vehicle and think its worth keeping. I guess I'm just looking for some feedback from people with alot of miles on there RAV.

Thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
Honestly, those should be the only problems you will experience. Those are just regular maitenance type items. The water pump and timing belt should have been done around 90K anyway. If you don't want things to go bad with any car, make sure you change the things that require changing regularly. (i.e. fluids, spark plugs, filters, etc.) My RAV has 104K on it, and I've had no problem except with the exhaust because of living in Michigan.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, this is the second time I've done the timing belt and I've kept on schedule with regular maintenance. Most of the miles on it are highway. I'm just wondering how much longer it will last or if theres anyone out there with alot more miles than I have on mine and how its holding up. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have 275,000+ miles on my '98. It is better running than my 2000 with 120,000+ miles.
I keep it maintained and have had no major problems. I would keep it.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmmm....I should consider one of those. Anyone know a good, cheap place to pick up the manual?

Or you could be like me and just swap out the motor (annoys the crap outta my dad, doesn't think it is worth it). But darnit, if I won't have the fastest Rav4.1 in MI. hmmm....how tuned up is dnylrq's Rav? For that matter are you in Jackson, or just near it?

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
kilrbzz said:
My 98 RAV has 150k on it but never had the first problem with it until last month, I had to replace my air/fuel sensor and O2 sensors at a cost of $600. A month later my water pump bearing is going and my timing belt is due also costing me another $750. I'm leaning towards getting it repaired as it will be paid off before the end of the year and it would be nice to have no payment. My only worry is that maybe its turning into a money pit and I'd be better off using this money toward a new one. I really like the vehicle and think its worth keeping. I guess I'm just looking for some feedback from people with alot of miles on there RAV.

Thanks
Like always, mathematics’ is the equalizer. To make a decision to stay with your RAV4 or not, boils down to this. Just take the amount of money it has caused for repairs. I guess it’s $600.00. Divide it by 150,000 miles. The result is the amount you spend a day since you have had it, to the day it has started to give you problems. As long as you keep using Toyota parts, and not old cheapo replacement, or the old “I don’t have this part, but I substitute it with this one” The dependability of these vehicles is out standing, check Consumers Report to what they say.

·
Registered
432 Posts
SZR ....Oh, I'm in Jackson. BTW, I'm determined to have the fastest RAV in MI. :twisted: :lol:

Right now, even with just the few mods I have, lots of those little rice boys can't touch me :D

Just curious, what engine did you swap in?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haven't swapped one yet. I will be doing it in April, after I can afford the engine/labor. It will prolly be an ST 185 with auto tranny out of a Celica All-trac. Than I will have the most powerful AWD automatic Rav4 in all the land 8) :twisted: , at least to my knowledge :?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well, I'll let you have that one. Automatic trans. suck in my opinion. I can't stand driving them. No control over the shifting. :evil: But that's just me. I'll have the fastest Manual 2WD RAV in MI. :lol:

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
dnylrq said:
Well, I'll let you have that one. Automatic trans. suck in my opinion. I can't stand driving them. No control over the shifting. :evil: But that's just me. I'll have the fastest Manual 2WD RAV in MI. :lol:
dnylrq, did you ever decipher the MSD installation mystery? BTW, I don't like auto neither. It takes out the thrill of driving.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As much as the auto may remove the fun of driving, it was free. So as far as that goes, I am not going to complain. I have not yet learned to drive a stick, nor have I had the oppertunity. I will hopefully soon, than I will get a stick in some other car, but I am keepin the Rav for awhile, and I am keepin her as an auto. I figure with 5 grand or so of work, she is about as good as a car with only 50,000 miles, so she should last awhile. That, and I just want to do it. Y, because iI can 8)

·
Registered
432 Posts
mensajero, honestly NO :roll: :lol: I haven't even tried... :shock: OOPS I've been on the suspension thing, which I finally think I'll get to do Saturday ( I want a whole day to commit to it) Then I'm waiting for the swaybar parts. Then I seriously think I'm gonna do the MSD. I'm tired of looking at all the pretty parts sitting in the box. I'm sure you know how that feels :p

Still gotta decide where to put it. Damn..... :evil:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kilrbzz said:
My 98 RAV has 150k on it but never had the first problem with it until last month, I had to replace my air/fuel sensor and O2 sensors at a cost of $600. A month later my water pump bearing is going and my timing belt is due also costing me another $750. I'm leaning towards getting it repaired as it will be paid off before the end of the year and it would be nice to have no payment. My only worry is that maybe its turning into a money pit and I'd be better off using this money toward a new one. I really like the vehicle and think its worth keeping. I guess I'm just looking for some feedback from people with alot of miles on there RAV.

Thanks

KEEP IT !
KEEP IT !
KEEP IT !

It will always cost you MORE to purchase a new vehicle than have a "NICELY MAINTAINED" used car from SCRATCH !!

ALWAYS !
ALWAYS !

I have my RAV.. dealer maintained. In my 30s right now and I will be driving it home after retiring... Maintenance comes on cars and should not get you so upset.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts