Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am a new owner of a 98 RAV4. This is actually my first car, so I am learning all of this as I go.

To cut a long story short, I bought a 98 RAV4 listed as an Automatic with 4WD. The 4WD feature was a major factor in choosing my vehicle. I am concerned I may have actually bought a FWD model. Is there a way to know for sure?

The ad is still live at the time of this writing.
1998 TOYOTA RAV4

The manual shows a button I would need to press, but that is only for models with a manual transmission. I was unable to find any info on how to activate 4WD on my automatic.

More info on the vehicle:
4 door
Leather seats (luxury model? Not sure.)
the title lists the style as "4W"

Thanks very much for your help. I was looking for a smaller 4WD SUV for a move to North Dakota this winter. The features I was looking for pushed my budget up quite a bit beyond what I was originally expecting to spend. I am just hoping I did not make a mistake.

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you look under the rav & there is a driveshaft running to the rear a diff & a axle going to each rear wheel your rav is 4wd ...mine is a 95 auto & is permanently in 4wd no shifting / buttons to engage .. im not sure if your year is the same or not .

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Just look under it, from behind. If there's a differential in the back, it's AWD. If there's an empty steel loop where the differential would go, it's FWD.

Print out the ad _now_. If FWD, you can ask for a refund of all or part of your money. And keep copies of the old title and other paperwork given to you. If refused, sue.

·
Registered
412 Posts
You BEST bet is to lie down under the vehicle and see a SHAFT running to the back of the vehicle.
I hope you get underneath your vehicles to clean them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts