Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced oil sludge in their 2.0 engine? Anyone using certain oil to prevent oil sludge? Is it even an issue if 3000 mile oil changes are done?

I am a recent 2002 RAV4 2.0 owner and concerned about this potential issue. All responses appreciated.

Mark

·
Registered
8,576 Posts
The classic method for determining whether the engine has a sludge problem now is to open the oil filler cap and with one's finger, feel the inside of the valve cover by the opening. Any sludge will be apparent by feel and on the finger. Any good detergent oil which meets the requirements in the Owner's Manual and is changed along with the oil filter according to the service schedule recommendation should prevent engine sludge. 3000 mile changes should easily prevent sludge unless the engine doesn't ever get to operating temperature long enough for the engine oil also to get to normal operating temperature for enough time to get rid of combustion condensation.

·
Registered
189 Posts
MTRAN2000 has a point. do it first.

this is what i will do, it depends how much deposits that the inside of the engine has.

Then if you have extra money you can oil flush it for about 10mins with Toyota Engine Oil Flush chemical OR just oil change it.

Then clean that Engine Oil Cap.

If that is mine, I would drive the vehicle until it reaches 500kms, then oil change it again but do not add an engine oil flusher.

then monitor it until the next engine oil service (i would do it every 5000km) if it still showing sludges under the engine oil cap, well there's too much to remove still

unless you want to open the top of the head up and/or engine oil pan. :)

questions aside:
1. was the vehicle coolant reservoir level low or getting low or noticeable low?
2. where do you bring your car for oil change? do you follow the 8k oil change service?
3. if you do it yourself, do you put the right engine oil type?
5. do you have the engine oil cap photo taken? can you show us? :)
4. is there a sign of too much burning oil? check your oil level every 500km when your monitoring it :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2002 Rav4 with 88,000 miles does not use oil and when I look under oil cap, I do not see anything black or crusty. I do not believe I have oil sludge but I just bought the vehicle a couple of months ago and not sure of maintenance history and frequency of oil changes. Vehicle is very clean inside and out so I suspect maintenance was regular.

Currently I use Castrol high mileage oil and considering going with fully synthetic. I think more of the Toyota sludge problems were with the 6 cylinder engines. No response from anyone on this generation forum of 2.0 sludging which is a good sign.

Mark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts