Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
So far, from what I have read on the multitude of threads, is that the ones that have had hits when inputting their VIN numbers were not built or assembled in Japan. So, it would seem that logic would be sound to say that if your VIN number has a first digit a J and the 11th digit a D (built and assembled respectively), most likely you're in the clear. I would not expect the Japanese plant in Aichi to import engine blocks from North America. Now, if it's a overall design flaw causing a weakness to the engine block, then we are all in a heap of a mess.

·
Registered
770 Posts
You are wrong....my gas powered 2019 RAV4 XLE was built in Japan in December 2018.
Yep, yours was probably right in front of mine on the assembly line. My gas powered 2019 RAV4 Limited was also built in Japan in December 2018.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I got an email at 3 this morning from the NHTSA sayng my vehicle MAY be affected but check my VIN to verify. Checked my VIN, nothing...

·
Registered
770 Posts
I got one from GasBuddy

·
Registered
264 Posts
In addition to the usual places, Check your Toyota owners app. Also Carfax
Copy. I'm not worried about mine being recalled as I was in the first wave of Rav4Hs, but I thought it was nice the NHTSA gave me a heads up I might have a recall coming my way...

·
Registered
11 Posts
The problem started in September 2019 at a Toyota-owned factory in Tennessee that manufactures engine blocks for Toyota and Lexus vehicles. According to a written statement from the automaker, a water flow meter at the factory failed while some engine blocks were being cast. As a result, these blocks did not cool properly, which caused cracks to develop.

Toyota said it discovered the problem when it found vehicles with coolant leaks during inspections of new vehicles at factories and dealers. Although the majority of affected vehicles have already been sold to consumers, some are still on dealer lots and cannot be sold until they have been repaired.

When contacted by CR, a Toyota spokesperson would not comment on whether there have been any crashes or injuries related to this problem.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts