Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Just got my 1st new Toyota in years; 2K5 Rav4S.
The dealer is pushing the factory-backed Toyota Extra Care "Platinum"(?) warranty to basically double the length of the new car warranty.
They want USD$730.00 for it.

I'm thinking as bullet-proof as my last Celica was, I don't think I really need this.

What's everyone else think?
TIA,
Steve in PGH

S

·
0 Posts
I think you have the option of buying it later on and just extending whatever warranty is left. Since my 2004 RAV has been troublesome and needed fairly expensive repairs I considered it, but I can't decide if I'd be better off just trading it in for something else before the warranty is expired. I'm just glad it was all covered under warranty so far. I guess you need to read the fine print to see what it covers. I know repairs can be very expensive on the these vehicles from what I read.

·
Registered
242 Posts
exten

I have on my car.....2003...Hope I never need :roll: :roll: BUT :!: :!: My son has a 41/2 year old Accord that needed extensive work...2,000..He only had to pay a small fee...You can also get credit for remaining time if you trade in.....I also think you can pass-along if you sell....

·
Registered
422 Posts
On my 4.1 I made back the cost of the extended warranty and then some when I had to have the valve stems and piston rings done. Time will tell if I'll make it back on the 4.2. I look at the extended warranty as being the same as insurance (something that costs up front but if you ever need it you'll be SO grateful that you have it), and actually since it's a one shot deal it's pretty cheap averaged out over the life of the vehicle.

Becky

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas folks!

We ended up buying it afterall. I figured that with 0 deductible, fully xferrable, and covering everything but the wear/tear items, it could pay for itself with one big repair a few years down the road, or be a plus for re-sale value.

Thanks!
Steve

C

·
0 Posts
I never got extended warranty. I have still lots of miles left on it and the basic coverage for everything is 3 years. And I knew that I would only be keeping it for 3 years. I am getting a new vehicle in February 2006 (my rav4 will be 3 years and 1 month old). The next vehicle I get WILL have everything I want and the goal is to keep it for 5 years so I will get extended warranty next time. It'll most likely be a Rav4 or a FJ Cruiser still waiting on more info on the two. I already know that I love FJ Cruiser, the question is can the new Rav4 top it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I thought it was worth it so I extended mine to 6 years and 100,000 miles. I'll probably get to the milage first because I drive alot for work.

I didn't look at it as a lump sum payment because I put it in my loan, came to about $20 extra a month. Actually as I extended the warrenty my loan % rate actually went down.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Optimally, you should want the warranty to last as long as you think you will own the car.

R

·
0 Posts
If I am purchasing Warranty, I should be purchasing a KIA.
If I have purchased a Toyota, Warranty comes with the Toyota logo.

Just my personal thinking........ :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts