Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I need to drain my fuel tank. I have tried to siphon the tank but it was a no go. When I take the hose out there is fuel on the bottom of the hose. Dropping the tank I cant do that because of the weather.

Now you may ask why I need to do well my wife was in a rush and the gas tank light came on. Like I said she was in a rush and went to the only open pump and you guessed it she pit 15L of diesel into it. She then drove it. Yes it drove about 100km calling me and telling me the Rav4 had no power and was acting odd. She limped it home and parked it half in and half out of the driveway. I went to take a look after checking over the engine and such. I was not able to start it. Pushed it out of the drive way. I gave it one more try and it started but was running really rough. So was able to move the cars around. After getting up in the morning I asked her as a joke did you put diesel in it. She thought about it and told me someone was yelling at her when she was filling it up. I checked the receipt and yes it was for 15l of diesel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought so as well but have never checked it myself.

It will turn over. So was thinking of geting the 95 or the 97 oct and put it in to burn off the diesel. So far we been told 500 and up. And that was just to drain and flush the system.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Diesel fuel nozzles will NOT fit a gasoline fuel tank. The diesel nozzle is way too big to fit. Only way would be if someone actually changed out the nozzle to a small one, or, if someone removed the restrictor in the gas car. Not very likely. My theory is she put in E-85 fuel, which would fit your tank and run like crap. Whatever the case, there's no reason someone couldn't siphon most of the fuel out, using the correct equipment. Doesn't have to be completely drained....a few gallons left in there won't matter once you fill it with say, 93 oct gas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Diesel fuel nozzles will NOT fit a gasoline fuel tank. The diesel nozzle is way too big to fit. Only way would be if someone actually changed out the nozzle to a small one, or, if someone removed the restrictor in the gas car. Not very likely. My theory is she put in E-85 fuel, which would fit your tank and run like crap. Whatever the case, there's no reason someone couldn't siphon most of the fuel out, using the correct equipment. Doesn't have to be completely drained....a few gallons left in there won't matter once you fill it with say, 93 oct gas.
20191201_164723.jpg

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes, not every diesel nozzle is wide. I don't want to give bad advise, but since your fuel pump and tank has been well saturated I guess this can't hurt. I have removed gas from tanks by disconnecting the fuel line hose in the engine compartment (may not be easier on newer vehicles because of fittings). I rigged a long piece of fuel line hose, extending the incoming line into a fuel container. Then I jumped the fuel pump relay. On a RAV, I'm not sure which contacts to jumper. You'll need to see a wiring diagram. I just let the pump run and fill the containers. I had 2 - 5 gallon containers. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Was almost 11L thought it was 15
In my post #4, I should have said in USA only. I don't know about Canada. Apparently, your wife was able to fit the diesel nozzle into the RAV. She wouldn't have been able to do that in the US.
Do what DL175 says. You should not have to pay $500 or whatever to siphon out 5-8 or so Gallons/L.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my post #4, I should have said in USA only. I don't know about Canada. Apparently, your wife was able to fit the diesel nozzle into the RAV. She wouldn't have been able to do that in the US.
Do what DL175 says. You should not have to pay $500 or whatever to siphon out 5-8 or so Gallons/L.
500 is just for them the drop tank and flush the fuel lines and clean the tank. They said if they had to clean the injectors it would be over 1000

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
500 is just for them the drop tank and flush the fuel lines and clean the tank. They said if they had to clean the injectors it would be over 1000
I can see if there was 11L of sludge pumped into the tank, you'd have to have that done. But normal, clean diesel fuel will not damage anything in the tank, just siphon out as much as you can, fill it with gas and I'm pretty sure in a few miles it'll clear up.

·
Registered
276 Posts
How full is your tank? I assume she filled it? If it's around half, top it off with high octane and it should be ok. Pull the fuel line off by the engine and empty into a bucket(s) if it's near full.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You could plug the catalytic convertor if you try to burn out the diesel. Best bet is not to crank it too much and use fuel pump powered by jumpers to pump it out. Add gas and pump it out again. If you have a fuel filter change it, I am new to Rav4. Convertors don't like unburned fuel.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts