Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
You could plug the catalytic convertor if you try to burn out the diesel. Best bet is not to crank it too much and use fuel pump powered by jumpers to pump it out. Add gas and pump it out again. If you have a fuel filter change it, I am new to Rav4. Convertors don't like unburned fuel.
You're correct, regular or continuous use of something like diesel will damage the cat, but I don't think 2.9 gallons of it in a 15 gallon tank, one time, will do anything. It'll be up to the OP what to do.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You're correct, regular or continuous use of something like diesel will damage the cat, but I don't think 2.9 gallons of it in a 15 gallon tank, one time, will do anything. It'll be up to the OP what to do.
My concern is that the car won't start and all that raw fuel is going into the cat. I had a car that would not start and when it finally did it had a major back fire in the exhaust and cat needed replaced. I have driven a Ford Taurus and they are known to ruin cats if you get steady misfires.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Like was stated, if you can remove the fuel line at the engine and pump most of it out, do it. If not, then fill it with premium and it should be ok. I dont lnow if you have a return to tank, but if you do you could simply turn the key on and off a dozen times after filling up to get fresh fuel into the line.

You'll know if you have a return because there will be two fuel lines on the fuel rail.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I checked the diesel nozzle size today when I got gas. The female attendant wondered why I wandered over the diesel pump after I got my gas at another pump. I asked her if the nozzle sizes were the same and she said yes, even though I think the diesel nozzle is slightly bigger ,but it would definitely still fit in our vehicles. Why wouldn't they oversize the nozzles like what our US friends have? Hope you make out ok getting rid of that diesel crap!

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,491 Posts
Your RAV4 has a 60 litre tank. She only put in 11 litres. When the low fuel light comes on, there's almost 15 litres left in the tank. Fill it up with 93 octane and it should be fine, although it may smoke a bit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I ended up puting some 91 oct on the tank the engine will turn over until the battery dies but will not start.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Don't know what you mean by "some 91 oct". You would need to fill the tank in order to dilute the 3 gal of diesel as much as possible.
According to kevcules46, Canada apparently doesn't have regulations for fuel nozzle sizes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I ended up puting some 91 oct on the tank the engine will turn over until the battery dies but will not start.
All that fuel that is not burning is ending up in your convertor and your exhaust system. When your engine eventually lights off your exhaust system may explode. I had it happen to a car just be careful it can cost you thousands of dollars instead of $500. And ruin your starter!

·
Super Moderator
9,228 Posts
I checked the diesel nozzle size today when I got gas. The female attendant wondered why I wandered over the diesel pump after I got my gas at another pump. I asked her if the nozzle sizes were the same and she said yes, even though I think the diesel nozzle is slightly bigger, but it would definitely still fit in our vehicles. Why wouldn't they oversize the nozzles like what our US friends have?
In the US we have two size diesel nozzles. One is auto-Diesel size and fits cars and pickups, and would fit in any gas car.
The big-rig high-flow size is much larger and for whatever reason also has a raised ring at its tip.

Many pickup owners including me enlarge the filler opening to accept the large nozzle so we can fill at the tractor trailer pumps.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Doc, I would have thought nozzle sizes were a national standard, but perhaps not. In the two stations I use in NY, there are only two sizes, small for gas vehicles and large for any diesel vehicle. I know two people with diesel VWs and they both have a large opening in the fill pipe. All other gas fueled vehicles I've ever seen have a restrictor in the fill pipe which will not allow the diesel nozzle to fit. Perhaps this is a state thing? I'll do a little googling when I get time, this is interesting to me.

·
Super Moderator
9,228 Posts
Doc, I would have thought nozzle sizes were a national standard, but perhaps not. In the two stations I use in NY, there are only two sizes, small for gas vehicles and large for any diesel vehicle. I know two people with diesel VWs and they both have a large opening in the fill pipe. All other gas fueled vehicles I've ever seen have a restrictor in the fill pipe which will not allow the diesel nozzle to fit. Perhaps this is a state thing? I'll do a little googling when I get time, this is interesting to me.
In my travels with my dyno business I've found the larger truck/travel stations such as T/A, Love's, Pilot etc. have separate auto and big rig areas with the auto area having the small nozzles for both gas and diesel. Typically they'll only have a few Diesel pumps and mostly gasoline ones. They are in front of their restaurant/convenience stores.
The high flow big nozzle Diesel plaza is separate and located by the tractor trailer parking lot.
Because only pickups and a few cars use Diesel smaller stations may not have the auto sized Diesel pumps since their main Diesel business is big rigs. In such areas the car/light truck filler has to be modified for the large nozzle.
BTW, in NJ the customer is allowed to pump his own Diesel but not gas.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't know if Canada treats their diesel fuel, but it could be gelled, although being mixed with gas, it shouldn't be.

The other possibility is fouled spark plugs. Have you tried starting fluid? Check the spark plugs and clean them if they are dirty. People used to steal fuel from farmers around here but the tanks were not labeled and they would commonly steal diesel by mistake and their plugs would foul before they got too far. It was easy for the police to find them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks everyone for the help. I was able to get it started. I ended up putting 40L of 91 octane into the tank. So that would have made it a 1 to 4 ratio. Then added Seafoam into the tank. It kept wanting to start and almost did. Then the battery died so I needed to get one of the jumper packs. Then I ended up pulling the plugs and cleaned them. Two where real bad the other two where not. Once I cleaned them and put them back I put the jumper pack on and it started right away.

Upon entering the Rav4 the Avg reader for fuel read 44.5 L per 100 km. Once I drove it for about an hour dropped back to 8.9 to 9.5 per 100km.

Only side affect I noticed was the smell. It seemed to drive just as good or even a little better than it did before the wife mess-up.

Spent about 200 total most of that was the jumper pack did not want to use the new car to keep jumping it.

A few things I learned was.
(1) Not going to let the wife fill the tank anymore. ( She told me she did this once before about 10 years ago to her Corolla)
(2) Working on a car when its snowing and there is about 8 inches of snow is not fun.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Glad to hear you hot it fixed. Definitely do not let your wife fuel the car, especially if she did it twice.

Diesel has more energy than gas, so you will notice a bit more pep on this tank. I noticed it in my truck.
Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Thanks for posting that you have resolved the problem. Some years ago I ran out of gas with my then-Ford V8 even though the gas gauge said that I had 1/4 tank (thanks, Ford!). Friend walked back to the farm to get some gas. Brought back about 2 gallons. Started the car and it ran really rough and the engine knocked under more than slight throttle. Queried my friend about where he had obtained the fuel and it turned out that it was from the farm tractor fuel tank (fuel used in John Deere 2-bangers and other low compression engines). Filled with gas in town and after that was OK.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Vanbar, glad all is well. I'm assuming your tank is almost full now. Probably when it gets down to maybe a half, I'd fill it again. You....not your wife! (kidding)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't know what you mean by "some 91 oct". You would need to fill the tank in order to dilute the 3 gal of diesel as much as possible.
According to kevcules46, Canada apparently doesn't have regulations for fuel nozzle sizes.
He just meant "high test fuel" , which for us, is 91 octane. This isn't the first time I've heard of someone accidentally trying to fill with diesel. Most times the gas attendant can spot the problem and shut off the pump before they get too much in their tank.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
He just meant "high test fuel" , which for us, is 91 octane. This isn't the first time I've heard of someone accidentally trying to fill with diesel. Most times the gas attendant can spot the problem and shut off the pump before they get too much in their tank.
My question actually was how much "some" was. It could have been 2 gallons from a lawn mower can when he needed a full tank of gas to dilute the diesel. At any rate, his car seems to be fine now.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts