Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my 2016 to the dealer for the free 20k mile service which is pretty much just a tire rotation and oil change in the service schedule. When I picked up the vehicle, I noticed that the tires were not rotated, as I had marked them. When I asked the service adviser why they were not rotated, I was told with a very straight face, that because my rear tires had more tread (8/32 vs. 7/32) it has been proven that it is safer to have the higher tread on the rear considering the rainy season is coming, (this is southern CA), so they did not rotate them.

I realize that a tire dealer would put the higher tread on the rear when there is a significant difference in tread depth, but in this case, the front works a bit harder and wears a bit faster and the whole purpose of rotating is to put the most tread on the end that wears faster. I'm sure they're charging Toyota for the labor, as the invoice just lists the bullets of the standard 20k stuff, including rotation. Anyway, when I called their bluff, they immediately offered to rotate them and withdrew the baloney about them doing me a favor by not doing so. I recommend everyone watch closely when you have similar service done.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Only because you marked them did you know. I wonder for how many other customers a tire rotation involves ZERO labor. :mad:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let's hope they actually bothered to change the oil. Wow, how unprofessional!
They did change the oil, I can tell that from the color. Of course I'll never know about the filter as I'm not about to open that up until the next change, which will be done by me.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Only because you marked them did you know. I wonder for how many other customers a tire rotation involves ZERO labor. :mad:
Oh, I'm sorry. They do have to drive the car forward or backwards to "rotate" the tires. Your choice.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Since the tires have a substantial wear difference between front and rear, I would be suspicious that they have NEVER been rotated. Toyota Care???

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since the tires have a substantial wear difference between front and rear, I would be suspicious that they have NEVER been rotated. Toyota Care???
They only differ by 1/32. I probably didn't explain that well. What I was saying is that there isn't much difference, and what difference there is will equalize when they put the backs on the front, which is the faster wearing end of the vehicle. Their excuse is that they are treating it like when you buy 2 new tires and the other 2 are half worn A tire dealer these days will put the new ones on the back so you don't fish tail in the rain. A very lame excuse when there is only 1/32 difference.

What really bothers me is that they already have this line prepared for the few who figure out that they're not doing the maintenance Toyota is paying them to do. It apparently has management buy-in.

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
They only differ by 1/32. I probably didn't explain that well. What I was saying is that there isn't much difference, and what difference there is will equalize when they put the backs on the front, which is the faster wearing end of the vehicle. Their excuse is that they are treating it like when you buy 2 new tires and the other 2 are half worn A tire dealer these days will put the new ones on the back so you don't fish tail in the rain. A very lame excuse when there is only 1/32 difference.

What really bothers me is that they already have this line prepared for the few who figure out that they're not doing the maintenance Toyota is paying them to do. It apparently has management buy-in.

Yeah, 1/32 doesn't seem to be much difference but when my RAV was eligible for Toyota Care and free tire rotation the dealer did so without question or comment, so I have to wonder about the significance of the difference on your RAV. Now I still have tire rotation included in a service agreement with that dealer and they still rotate the tires without question or comment. Your note about dealers being paid by Toyota for services which they haven't actually performed has been noted in other member comments.

·
Super Moderator
11,097 Posts
Nice catch! What a shame you have to mark them to keep the dealer honest.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
When I go to Autoland Toyota for any service I make a point to go up to the 'mechanics bay' entry and look for my RAV - once I find it I watch the technician/s work on it from that vantage point. To date I haven't been told to refrain from doing that! I can visually confirm that the oil/filter change and tire rotation service is being done.

BTW...there's a BIG digital clock in front of every service bay and it counts down the minutes that a particular service is taking since the vehicle entered the bay. I think they give the oil change and tire rotation service about 30 minutes from start to finish. I've also seen 2 techs working on my RAV.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
The tread depth difference is a "new thing" that has been going on for maybe 2 or 3 years.
Ya, 1/32 difference it's a cop-out by the dealer. You will ALWAYS wear the front more than the rear, especially on a FWD vehicle. Even on my little Corolla, by the time I get home from work, my front tire TPMS sensors are reading 10-15 degrees higher than the rear. They are carrying the load of the engine, the bulk of braking, and handling steering.

But some goofball with bald rear tires spun out and probably got an attorney to go after a tire shop that put new tires on the front.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Purely a BS excuse. Front tires wear faster than rears. So leaving more tread on the rear, would mean you NEVER would want to rotate your tires. A complete load of garbage that makes zero sense.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
https://www.americastire.com/learn/tire-safety-myths

Myth #2

They have infographics in the showrooms explaining how worn rear tires can lead to oversteer (which is not as easily corrected as understeer).

But as I said... 1/32 difference, it's a lame cop-out by the dealer to refuse to rotate based on this.
If the rear tires have 5/32 or more left, they may be safely rotated to the front.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts