Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hydrogen fuel cells. big claims by manufacturer. opinions needed !!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/hydrogen-fuel-cells-big-claims-manufacturer-opinions-needed-1027092/

I spoke with a maker/seller of fuel cells yesterday. he claims that for $259.00 i will get an increase of 6-9 mpg highway and similiar city. this sounds to good to be true.

===============================================

JGC00
2000 WJ

I spent the last two years seriously experimenting, testing, studying, and reading about hydrogen fuel cells, boosters, or "HHO" as it's called. I've fabricated several designs and actually made one that produced a great deal of hydrogen at around 5 amps.

Here's the very first one we made:

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

Here was the last version we made (it performed very well):

The best version I made was an open-bath design, but I do believe that dry cells are the most efficient and easiest to work with. I abandoned the project (possibly only for now) before I ever attempted a dry cell design. If you are going to purchase a fuel cell I recommend only investing in dry cells. They're just easier to deal with IMO.

Two other family members also were very involved with the project and we tested the HHO boosters on the following vehicles:

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
1994 Chevrolet Suburban K1500
1998 Chevrolet Tahoe K1500
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
1994 Ford E350 Motorhome

The only vehicles that we were able to succesfully see MPG gains with were the '94 Suburban and the '94 Motorhome. The Suburban went from averaging 12 MPG's to about 16-18 MPG's depending on driving conditions. The Motorhome saw a pretty consistent 20% increase in MPG's and continues to do so.
The Eclipse saw little to no gains, the Tahoe saw no gains, the Grand Prix and the WJ saw 1-2 MPG gains, but I never had time to fully confirm from a scientific standpoint and left it as inconclusive.

Here are my personal opinions about HHO and vehicles. HHO boosters can work, but the newer your vehicle is, the harder it is to see gains in MPG without modifying your computer, O2 sensors, and other engine components. Also, every engine and every car is different. I believe that you have about a 1 in 1500 shot of popping on an HHO booster and have it work straight out of the gate (and those chances worsen the newer the vehicle). In almost every case, you have to fine-tune the HHO production specific to your vehicle and engine, otherwise your O2 sensors will detect the change and in some cases people actually can experience worse MPG.
My advice to anyone wanting to pursue an HHO project is prepare for a lot of experimenting, a lot of time spent studying, being sent back to the drawing board over and over, but if you stick with it, I do believe it's possible.

I started in the project purely for cost savings on fuel and after having invested hundreds of dollars in experiments and testing, hours and hours of research, study, and reading, I decided to abandon the project before I took too much of a loss. I don't really regret it though. It was extremely interesting, educational, and gave me my sense of confidence that we won't be dependant on fossil fuels for the rest of eternity.

If you do decide to jump in the project, just be prepared and be patient. Good luck!

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Based upon my teen age experiments and experience, the claims made in the video most likely amounts to snake oil and hogwash.. The amount of electricity used (by observing the apparent wire gauge) wouldn't produce enough hydrogen to result in anything more than a very minimal and likely un-measureable effect in that Explorer engine. Also if the process were producing hydrogen and oxygen the water would be consumed and there would be nothing left to pour out, in contrast to what the video claims. Lots of oxygen being emitted vie the exhaust pipe - that's another laughable claim.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts