Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm deciding between a Gen 2 Rav4 and a couple of other options. One big factor I like to consider is the aftermarket support and a community. It looks like the community for the gen 2 is pretty much dead here, toyo nation also seems to be dead. Is there a better forum out there to connect with fellow rav4 owners??

·
Registered
551 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm deciding between a Gen 2 Rav4 and a couple of other options. One big factor I like to consider is the aftermarket support and a community. It looks like the community for the gen 2 is pretty much dead here, toyo nation also seems to be dead. Is there a better forum out there to connect with fellow rav4 owners??
There's lots of activity and topics on Gen 3 and gen 4's here. Dunno about Gen 2

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Hey guys,

Have you actually looked at the gen. 2 forum? Posts have been entered today and in the last few days, as well as previously. RAV4.2 Second Generation (2001-2005 Models) - Toyota RAV4 Forums

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
Frankly not many people have any interest in buying a car that old regardless of make.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
The 4.1's and 4.3's have always been more popular than the 4.2's for some reason. Even aftermarket accessory support for the 4.2 has always been less.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
I prefer the older Rav4's with shorter wheel base. Mine is a 2002 with manual transmission. Just turned over 100,000 miles and hoping to have it a long time.
I'm drooling over your manual gearbox! Generation 3s were available with only automatics, and my V6 gets bad mileage in town. I know that It would be much better if it had a manual.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm drooling over your manual gearbox! Generation 3s were available with only automatics, and my V6 gets bad mileage in town. I know that It would be much better if it had a manual.
I really enjoy driving the 5 speed manual transmission. Not sure what I get for MPG as I never really checked it. Not too bad but I hear a lot of people complain not great for a small vehicle. Mine is AWD which I am sure hurts the MPG but nice to have with Midwest winters.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you think that about 4.2, think what I go through for 4.1.

Issue is value.

Old RAV4s don't hold value like the Highlanders or 4Runners or the Land Cruisers. I am not sure why.

Toyota 4x4s are usually very highly priced.

My 4.1 is worth 3000 barely. Nobody wants to maintain or restore that has no value and I see good 4.1s sent to junkyard because nobody wants to put a new trans or engine in it as it costs same as the car.

·
Registered
272 Posts
this is exactly why Gen II is better than later Gens, and why I have never bought a newer one, and when you consider the Gen II is bigger than Gen I, and the rear seat comes out allowing you to haul bigger things, it's a no - brainer, Gen II is the best

if you judge things by popularity, then I guess we can conclude McDonalds is the best place to eat :surprise
there is a lot of activity here, it's just that everyone is out enjoying driving their reliable GenII

my manual Gen II gets between 26 & 34 mpg depending on conditions, usually it's between 28 & 30

·
Registered
51 Posts
You'll find that the activity on any car forums greatly decreases as the cars get to be more than 10 years old. I think it's because the excitement of buying a NEW car brings new people to forums and keeps the forums alive. People just don't get that excited about buying older cars.

One thing I like about old car forums, however, is that you can usually do a SEARCH on the forum and find the answers that you need. Because, at one time, the forum was probably very active and most questions have been answered over time. Sure, it's not as personal as talking to other people but if you are just looking for a "How to do an oil change" thread, you will probably find it on an older forum if you search.

·
Registered
73 Posts
over here we refer to them as mk 1, 2, 3, 4 ...

perhaps with mk 2 some of the original model were ironed out (apart from the issues with the new diesel engine!) was had less electronics thrown at it; as a result less problems for the owners. OR maybe not

1 - 13 of 13 Posts