Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day i got rear ended by a 2015 honda odyssey bend the spare tire bracket , busted the bumper this is an 06 with 155k miles base model. im supposed to get oil consumption fixed on Wednesday but i think i might cancel the appointment. i hope they dont total it i just paid it off in november:frown

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Is the second picture the edge of the door? If so, you'll probably be best off replacing the whole door.
Haven't had the RAV bumper apart, but current bumpers typically have a steel beam with a bunch of foam holding the plastic cover. the damage you see might be just foam and plastic, or it might be serious. Only way to find out for sure what's busted is to have a body shop look at it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Chances are you have about 5 grand in damage

any hit on the rear tire carrier trashes the door, and used ones are made out of unobtanium.

the plastic trim under the tire along the bottom edge of the door is probably cracked and no good.

You will need a bumper cover, absorber and reinforcement

The damaged pieces you see under that black trim panel is called the rear body panel, it is a welded in part, it is garbage and needs to be replaced.

I would bet money there is also damage to the rear floor, that can be repaired once the rear body panel is cut off. or they can section in a new piece.

I HATE, repeat HATE cars with rear mounted spare tire carriers, they are huge loses when they are hit, even if it is just a tap

Besides my gig at the shop, I am an appraiser for about 10 insurance companies, and am licensed in 5 states.

I cringe every time I get an assignment to go look at a 2012 or older Rav4 with a rear hit.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the second picture the edge of the door? If so, you'll probably be best off replacing the whole door.
Haven't had the RAV bumper apart, but current bumpers typically have a steel beam with a bunch of foam holding the plastic cover. the damage you see might be just foam and plastic, or it might be serious. Only way to find out for sure what's busted is to have a body shop look at it.
yes the second picture is the door im okay with replacing the door getting fixed. im just worried the insurance would total it because of the piece behind the bumper where the cargo floor sits is steel. thanks:smile

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chances are you have about 5 grand in damage

any hit on the rear tire carrier trashes the door, and used ones are made out of unobtanium.

the plastic trim under the tire along the bottom edge of the door is probably cracked and no good.

You will need a bumper cover, absorber and reinforcement

The damaged pieces you see under that black trim panel is called the rear body panel, it is a welded in part, it is garbage and needs to be replaced.

I would bet money there is also damage to the rear floor, that can be repaired once the rear body panel is cut off. or they can section in a new piece.

I HATE, repeat HATE cars with rear mounted spare tire carriers, they are huge loses when they are hit, even if it is just a tap

Besides my gig at the shop, I am an appraiser for about 10 insurance companies, and am licensed in 5 states.

I cringe every time I get an assignment to go look at a 2012 or older Rav4 with a rear hit.
thanks for the info ,im glad everything can be fixed i had to cancel my oil consumption fix appointment. because i would hate to take it in get it fixed and the insurance decides to total it. it would be a waste of everyone's time if they did that.:smile

·
Registered
91 Posts
2 to 3 on the initial, wait til it gets in the shop and they tear it down and call for a supplemental appraisal....

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
The frame is slightly damaged but that's easily fixed. A pro repair shop has the right tools to straighten it.

I would actually ask OP to thoroughly review whatever repair is done ASAP and then ask for supplemental fixes!
I had to do that a few times when repairs were not done to my standards or the repair shop added "supplemental" damage e.g. scratch door handle, scratch to window tint, etc...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts