Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 99 Rav4 L two years ago with about 165k mileage, and she was perfect.

Today she's got 189k miles, a leaky power steering input shaft, a sway bar only mounted by the links (because the steering fluid melted the bushings off), a catalytic converter that sends a check engine code if I hit a bump too hard, brakes that make the most irritating "WOOP WOOP" noise every time they're pressed above 25 mph, tires that jerk the car like its being wrestled off the road whenever it drives on grooved freeway pavement, a transmission that slips when the ac is on, and I just checked the oil today to find out that it is BONE FREAKIN' DRY. Oh and the clock only works when I hit it, then it turns off again after 10 minutes.

I've done oil changes every 2500-3000 miles. I haven't done much else to it other than the new tires a couple months ago. I don't have the equipment or the space to work on the vehicle myself, and I don't know if its worth letting a shop put everything back together again, especially now with this new oil leak.

Is this the end?

What do I do?

Will I go to hell if I try to sell this third-world jalopy in its current condition?

·
Super Moderator
10,193 Posts
No you won't go to hell but it IMO you've been saying "the hell with it" for some time now when it comes to keeping it up.

But if you'd had to have the needed repairs pay-done it would have eaten a lot of $$$ and you'd still have an old RAV4 that you apparently don't like.

At this point it's a money pit for you so it's time to give someone who can DIY the repairs a heaven of deal on it. If it isn't rusted out they may take pride in fixing it a little at a time or just use it for parts.

Reactions: Hjuilste

·
Registered
419 Posts
A 1999 RAV4 that is 2wd - run out of engine oil & trans slips sometimes.
- much less demand as a fixer-up'er, not being a 4x4 SUV
- pretty much done, I'd say

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Drive it next door into Mexico and let it be stolen.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Drive it next door into Mexico and let it be stolen.

LOL - Only leave it parked on the street or elsewhere in the open in the south of San Diego area (Otay Mesa, e.g.) and it probably will disappear without the owner having to cross the border . . . :wink

·
Super Moderator
11,133 Posts
It's fried. Repairs will exceed the value of the vehicle, dump it and take better care of the next one.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The vehicle should have been driven. Only 20k in two years?

Heck I drove 100k in two. LOL.

You can always dump it and drive a new car that looks like everybody else's car. :-D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree sounds like you killed it. If you had shop/ experience and bought your own parts wouldn't be bad. But now is a good time to get with the future. Use your government rebates and buy a Chevy Bolt. Tons of range and no more gas to worry about. Plus regen braking and way less moving parts your maintenance cost will be way less. Don't even have to do oil changes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts