Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New Rav4 2015 LE FWD (base model I believe) owner here, when I got the used car from the dealer he handed me one key (pics attached). And they want $400 CAD for a new one (nuts right?) I think I should get a second just in case I lose this one.

Here is the one I am looking to buy off ebay

NEW Keyless Entry Remote CAR KEY FOB H Chip FOR 2013 2015 Toyota RAV4 GQ4 52T | eBay

Will it work?

How do I program it? is this the device I need to get?
FOR Toyota G AND Toyota H Chip Vehicle OBD Remote KEY Programmer KEY Device NEW | eBay

Or is it this one?

Mini VCI 16 Pin OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner Cable for Toyota Tis Techstream F5 | eBay

Any idea help with next steps will be greatly appreciated. I feel like this forum needs a sticky on replacement keys.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey bilaliz, Bravo, you have done all the hard works (finding all the parts on eBay).

Where are you at? I've a 16 RAV4 which also uses the "H" key and I'm planning to get two keys and if you are close by (BC), maybe we can share the OBD Remote Key Programmer Key Device. I know $28.99 is not much, but its useless once the keys are programmed.

P/s you should try to get the 2nd factory remote key from the dealer as Toyota supplies two remote keys as default.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Matt,

Thanks, but I am not sure where to find techstream and also what are the practical next steps after i get the key, all guides online i can find are for the transponder type key, i dont think this one is that kind.

I did try to get the second key from the dealer, which he wanted to sell me for $400 dollars :(

I am in Toronto, shipping will kill it, dont you think?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey Matt,

Thanks, but I am not sure where to find techstream and also what are the practical next steps after i get the key, all guides online i can find are for the transponder type key, i dont think this one is that kind.

I did try to get the second key from the dealer, which he wanted to sell me for $400 dollars :(

I am in Toronto, shipping will kill it, dont you think?
Yea, too far!

Watch this video,
this is what you need to do once you get the VCI cable, but you need Windows XP and a note book.

Your 1st option is much easier, FOR Toyota G AND Toyota H Chip Vehicle OBD Remote KEY Programmer KEY Device NEW | eBay, $28.99 all in and no need for VCI cable/notebook!

Best regards.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
all guides online i can find are for the transponder type key, i dont think this one is that kind.
The transponder is required whenever an engine immobilizer is installed on the vehicle. Engine immobilizers have been mandatory in all Canadian vehicles since 2007, and many vehicles had immobilizers back to 2000.

There are two steps to programming your key. First you need to teach your ECM to accept the ID code on the transponder chip, in order for it to start the car.

Second, you need to teach the door lock receiver the new code that is sent wirelessly when you press the lock/unlock buttons on the new key.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The transponder is required whenever an engine immobilizer is installed on the vehicle. Engine immobilizers have been mandatory in all Canadian vehicles since 2007, and many vehicles had immobilizers back to 2000.

There are two steps to programming your key. First you need to teach your ECM to accept the ID code on the transponder chip, in order for it to start the car.

Second, you need to teach the door lock receiver the new code that is sent wirelessly when you press the lock/unlock buttons on the new key.
now this is helpful, thanks a bunch, would you happen to know the exact steps? i.e.

insert ODB2 device or the scanner cable?, turn on car, keep it off? that sort of thing?

I will make a video guide and post it here once I figure it all out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok well I have ordered the key and the ODB2 tool from ebay, i'll update this thread on the process once i achieve success

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
ok well I have ordered the key and the ODB2 tool from ebay, i'll update this thread on the process once i achieve success
That looks like a handy little device. I would be curious to know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol, thanks mate, good for any one else who is about to order, i already spent an extra $10 according to the pricing on aliexpress

1 - 12 of 12 Posts