Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 RAV4 LE, just noticed some leakage while doing oil change. Is this transmission fluid leaking? Less than 25000 miles and should it be under warranty?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looks like it but hard to say. Smell it, if it smells like gas its engine oil, if it smells like rotten eggs its gear oil, anything else would most likely be trans fluid.

·
Super Moderator
9,906 Posts
It looks red along the seam which makes it ATF. I'd wipe it off and see if it comes back. Also check if it came down from some place higher.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
Unless there are more than 50,000 miles on your RAV4 which you posted is not the case it should still be covered by the powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I seem to have ran into the same issue as you a number of months ago. 112000km/70000mi, seems to be pooling around the same area as mine- dealer diagnosed it as gear oil from a transfer case seal leak. Definitely covered under the powertrain warranty, unfortunate to see at relatively low mileage. Hope you get your situation sorted seeing as it is under warranty.

IMG_8439.JPG IMG_8441.JPG

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the info. Mine looks like ATF fluid but it is still possible leaking from transfer case. I'll schedule a service with Toyota dealer soon. This is my wife's rav4 and not driving currently.

I seem to have ran into the same issue as you a number of months ago. 112000km/70000mi, seems to be pooling around the same area as mine- dealer diagnosed it as gear oil from a transfer case seal leak. Definitely covered under the powertrain warranty, unfortunate to see at relatively low mileage. Hope you get your situation sorted seeing as it is under warranty.

View attachment 152273 View attachment 152272

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took a better picture. In addition to the leaking under transmission, the ATF pan is wet:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Take it to the dealer sooner than later. Warranty will cover parts and seals an such. Warranties do not cover fluids, and specifically mechanical damage due to the lack of fluids. So get it taken care of before any damage happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts