Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife prefers not to have the front side windows tinted so she can have better visibility at night but then she doesn't want too much UV because it will worsen a small patch of vitiligo on her chin.

Toyota launches in 2011 glass which rejects 99% of UV rays

Toyota has announced details of an innovative technology that reduces the penetration of glass ultraviolet (UV) in the car with about 99%. New bottle to the windscreen and front windows will be placed on cars launched in 2011.

Combined with current technology that reduces ultraviolet windshield, new glass panes used in front of the machine will reject about 99% of UV rays that penetrate inside the vehicle. Toyota estimates that the result is protection against the sun burns the equivalent of wearing gloves while driving.

Windscreen, using laminated glass reduces UV rays by about 99% by using anti-UV film between two layers of glass lamination process. Side windows, however, is generally used a single layer of glass coated with UV-absorbing material, have an approximately 89% protection.

The new technology side windows, the interior surface of glass was coated with a UV-absorbent ultra video to about 99% protection against ultraviolet rays.

The new Toyota Yaris will be the first generation model of the Japanese manufacturer will benefit from this technology....

·
Registered
270 Posts
Front windows, which are not tinted.

From what I gather, the tinted rear windows still have poor UVA blocking.

But I guess if she's sitting in the front, that's fine. Which model?

Reactions: internalaudit

·
Registered
36 Posts
Glass, all by itself, is a pretty good UV blocker. In the Chem lab we have to put solutions we wish to analyze with UV into Quartz cells instead of glass.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Depends on the glass... fused quartz is a pure form of glass actually, and it transmits UV pretty well. Generally, plastics are far superior to glass regarding UV absorption.... So laminated glass - plastic sandwiched between layers of glass - is inherently a good UV absorber.... But that's due to the plastic layer.

·
Registered
270 Posts
And also as I understand it, it depends if you're talking about UVA vs. UVB.

·
Registered
36 Posts
And also as I understand it, it depends if you're talking about UVA vs. UVB.
Yes, absorption is dependant on wavelength to be precise. My UV water treatment system uses a glass tube/cylinder between the water and UV source because the glass transmits - rather than absorbs - the UV. If the tube was made of plastic, the water wouldn't get treated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You might want to check out a ceramic infrared blocking tint, such as Insulatir from Johnson. It claims to block out heat and UV without the dark tint.

Insulatir - AUTOMOTIVE | Johnson Window Films

I used Johnson's Renegade line in my 4.4 so I don't have first hand experience with the Insulatir lineup, but it may be up your alley.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just tinted my front windows and there seems to be a greenish tint to them compared to the back which is more pinkish/bronze. I assume the fronts have some kind of layer that makes them green or possibly it's the tint?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just tinted my front windows and there seems to be a greenish tint to them compared to the back which is more pinkish/bronze. I assume the fronts have some kind of layer that makes them green or possibly it's the tint?
I don't have an answer for you but I can confirm that with the Johnson Renegade tints, I noticed similar things when I first got mine installed -- "cooler" coloring on the front while the back was "warmer" (in terms of color temperature). I've gotten over it but it does still trip my OCD every now and then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I am not sure, but according to the press release of Toyota UK, The Toyota Vitz/Yaris is the first car that has UV-cutting windscreens which are able to provide sunburn protection from the harmful U-V rays.
Thanks!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts