Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I don't plan on towing a trailer...it would be for one of those tow hitch style mountian racks. BTW, can a RAV4 tow a small trailer with a jet ski? Not that I have a jet ski, but I am just curious.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
It all depends on the guy doing the install work. :D I've installed two in my time and other than having the right tools, one just needs to be careful and get it aligned properly. You could also try a 4x4 truck shop or store as they tend to have experienced techs doing work.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen some guys take hours to figure out the wiring/electrical. A very frustrating wait for you indeed. It has more to do with individual troubleshooting skills than U-haul.

For your needs, just buy the tow bar and install it yourself. It is SO EASY on the RAV 4.2 Just take off the 4 bolts holding on the 2 eye hooks they use for tranporting the vehicle. Hidden Hitch and others make tow bars for around or less than $100. If you can install a paper towel dispenser or can opener underneath your kitchen cabinet, you can do this job.

The bar will mount perfectly into the holes. If you ever do want trailer wiring, you can have somebody else do that little amount of work. But, they make wiring kits for the do-it-yourself crowd too.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a U-Haul hitch installed and have put hundreds of miles on it holding my bike rack without any problems. I have been very happy with it.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked up a factory hitch and Hoppy wire kit off ebay, install is easy if you have a socket set and someone to help you. The wireing install was more complicated than I expected. I am used to working under pickups. Had to remove the right rear quarter panel to get the wires outside. No biggie though, only 5 screws. I have been towing my flatbottom boat and the Rav does fine with it.

Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts