Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I feel bad for the owner of this RAV4, I could not help noticing how clean it is underneath.
Is yor RAV4 this clean underneath?
a1 clean rav4 IMG_4092-M.jpg

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
I wonder, what was the cause of that mishap? If we have a normal rain year my RAV likely would be as clean underneath as that one is, but we haven't had our usual rain this year and I haven't crawled underneath lately to look!:wink

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Hopefully it is... we get the underbody spray at the car wash.

As for the cause of the accident, take a look at the tires.
Front tires are in slightly better shape than the rear (but barely, none of the 4 are legal), I'd put money on the rear hydroplaned and they spun out.

Apparently, the big "rule" now is that tire shops will always rotate the "good" tires to the front so the car won't understeer.
Seriously, I would rather have one that understeers than oversteers.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Just moved out here to the pacific northwest from Ohio. Had it in to the dealer recently and they noted "slight surface rust on underbody as if driven on salted roads". Heh. Guess that's pretty damn rare here.

·
Registered
9,026 Posts
Just moved out here to the pacific northwest from Ohio. Had it in to the dealer recently and they noted "slight surface rust on underbody as if driven on salted roads". Heh. Guess that's pretty damn rare here.

Yep, out in the PNW the road departments usually use grit rather than salt in winter largely to avoid polluting streams and rivers with salt, which among other problems would affect fish populations.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
When I lived in Ohio in the Eighties, they had the worst roads I've ever seen and salt-erosion was so bad that rear bumpers had holes blown through them. Here in rural Minnesota our weather is worse, but we do not use salt in part because it attracts wildlife.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The exhaust looks like crap, and all the places that were welded are rusty and any steel bolts are rusted. But underneath is immaculate. The RAV might have gone to a car wash that cleaned underneath, which might explain the extreme rust.

I can see the owner talking to the cop "but wait, this would be a good time to change the oil since the drain plug is right there!"

I assume the prop rods and braces are for when the victims were being extracted so the RAV wouldn't tip back over. I think this had to have happened once so that is why the safeguards were made.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts