Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Is your Toyota dealer really offering Toyota’s fuel tank “interim fix”?

• Yes

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • I didn’t ask

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m just curious if Toyota really is doing this, whether it’s a real fix or not. I wish more folks would just ask their dealer if they’ve even heard of this, let alone doing it.
My take is that they just sent this info to the TV station to make it seem like they are really doing something. My dealership is not doing it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You know, you could just get on Google and search for random Toyota dealers across the nation and call them up and ask...

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, you could just get on Google and search for random Toyota dealers across the nation and call them up and ask...
I figured folks here might be calling to see if their dealers were offering it. Guess not.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I’m just curious if Toyota really is doing this, whether it’s a real fix or not. I wish more folks would just ask their dealer if they’ve even heard of this, let alone doing it.
My take is that they just sent this info to the TV station to make it seem like they are really doing something. My dealership is not doing it.
I called mine and they refused to do it since I already had my tank replaced in September. They referred me to corporate.

But at the very least they were aware of the press release.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Maybe I'm not too smart, and despite having the fueling problem for 12 of the 13 weeks I have owned my new RAV4, but I haven't even discussed this issue with my dealer yet. They are not close by my home and I assume they will simply say bring it in and we'll look at it. For the most part, I believe I am getting better information on this forum than I would get from the dealer. I suppose one of these days I do need to get the problem documented with dealer so if and when the fix comes I might have an easier time getting on the list.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Maybe I'm not too smart, and despite having the fueling problem for 12 of the 13 weeks I have owned my new RAV4, but I haven't even discussed this issue with my dealer yet. They are not close by my home and I assume they will simply say bring it in and we'll look at it. For the most part, I believe I am getting better information on this forum than I would get from the dealer. I suppose one of these days I do need to get the problem documented with dealer so if and when the fix comes I might have an easier time getting on the list.
So that depends. I always like to do what I can now to leave me more options in the future. Even if you don’t plan on pursuing a lemon law claim now, you might eventually change your mind and it would be a much easier process if you already have the issue And repair attempts documented.
Just my two cents.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I called my dealer about the "interim fix"

SA did know about the problem. ( He said every SA has taken about 5-10 Fuel tank issues )

He did not hear about the fix, he then put me on hold while he spoke to the service manager..

Now, he said ... the "fix" is the exact same tank.
"The car must be here and available when the Toyota Field Rep. is here to inspect and approve the tank swap"
"No parts came be replaced w/o approval from the field rep."

Then we agreed, why bother.
No idea when the new tank is being released....

I said, "May, June, July??????"
He said, Yup they are all good months???o_O

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine supposedly told me this morning that there are new parts but this was after him telling me that there is no fix but is a known problem.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’d be shocked if it was a new part number and that tells me it just wouldn’t be worth bothering with. Toyota is clearly just putting out this “interim” BS just sound like they’re doing something.

·
Registered
94 Posts
What is this "fix"?

In talks with Toyota case managers (not the dealer but an escalated case manager) I was told they could replace the tank but that wasn't fixing the issue. Their other "fix" was to test the odometer. That was obviously a deflection and at this point trust is gone--I'd be worried about setting yourself up for refusal to fix your problem.

Lemon laws is a strong possibility for us.

Everyone should also report their problem to the EPA as well. Because the problem requires us to trickle fill the tanks to get more gas in it's very easy to overfill/spill gas on the ground, which is a serious safety issue--the problem is rendering safety systems on both your car and the gas pump ineffective.

Enough of those complaints will do more than thousands of individual ones directly to Toyota.

Here's where to go...https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts