Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have been lurking here and reading up for awhile. I have decided I need a fully loaded, low mileage 2010-2012 RAV4 V6. Any car hunting tips you could share? Seems the dealers know people want them and don't want to deal on price, have found very few individual sellers. Seems the soccer moms have no problem racking up 120K miles in 3 years.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Everyone wants low mileage so no deals there unless you find a private sale and are the first one there with the cash.
I wouldn't walk away from a private sale with 100K+ on it if the price was right.
I set up searches on eBay, Craigslist, cars.com etc and just keep reloading them until I find the car at the price. Then I grab it. Might take a month.
Not afraid to travel either. Flew from CT to FL for our RAV4 and to GA for the Accord.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I drove 4 hours each way yesterday for a "Clean 1 owner carfax certified" 2011 rav4 . I get there and the front bumper cover had been repainted with a spray can, with over spray on the fenders, hood, and grill. "But the Carfax has no accidents"....Im already tired of used car salesmen. I don't mind traveling for the right vehicle, I have always had good luck shopping out of town until yesterday.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't be afraid to use car gurus, ask, carmax, autotrader, to help you search for cars as well. You cant be afraid of traveling either. I am currently looking for a specific car and it took me over three months to get exactly what I want. I am going to Texas to get from Colorado. Good luck.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Kinslayer,

Literally just went through this and picked up my car Sat (1/16/16).

Shoot for '11-'12. Honestly a higher mileage on newer year car tells me more that the car ran fine and was mostly highway miles, which is more or less a best case scenario as far as mileage goes. Get the Limited, not a lot of price difference between the other models. As you've said, I found as well that dealers know buyers want the 4.3, and aren't really budging on them. Before I picked up mine (drove 6 hours), I drove 2 hours to check out another one and it was sold as soon as I got there. Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
The best deals are from private sellers who've bought new cars and were offered peanuts on a trade. They are happy with just a little more than they were offered. The best of those are on eBay since you can win the auction to lock in a good price but still have to option to back out. They don't come around that often but a no-reserve auction is what you have to wait for.

Used car dealers can be the worst or the best. Some are just liars pushing overpriced junk, BUT some go for high volume selling low markup trades they buy from new car dealers.

For instance, how did I know that I was getting a good car when I flew one-way from CT to FL for a RAV4 I'd only seen in pictures online. By looking over his website and then talking to the used car dealer on the phone. I asked some straightforward questions like, "What will I see when I get there that I won't like?" "What isn't in the pictures?" In five minutes I knew the guy was a straight shooter and he certainly turned out to be. Even sent me a $150 check a month later to cover a misunderstanding over a rear cargo cover he'd said the car had but it didn't. So there are good dealers out there. I just jerk their chain a little to find out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, it looks like I will have to travel to find what I want...Hard to do when you are working 55 hours a week.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can depend on timing too. I bought a 2012 Sport V6 with 55k miles, SAP, towing, fully loaded CPO and warranty from a dealer. It had just come off lease, and had not sold in 2 months so the dealer was about to send it to auction, which can be a crapshoot for them. He had lowered the price, but I still negotiated a further decrease. Quite happy with the car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
....or I could go with a 2015 Mustang GT. "Your a single guy with no kids, and you want a RAV4?" is what my buddy asked me today. Valid point but I'm having trouble picturing a Mustang launching my Waverunner, oh it CAN be done....sometimes.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts