Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hunting for a low mileage 2010-2012 AWD v6 Limited, but am getting tired of the run around, the dealers don't want to deal, the supply is low and the demand is high apparently.

What are your thoughts on a second gen RX350 2008-2010? They are plentiful, the dealers are willing to deal, and I would assume most are well maintained. Most of them are 2 years older than the RAV4s I have looked at with even less mileage. What are the downsides to the gussied up Toyotas?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If I were looking for a replacement vehicle today, I'd be doing exactly what you're doing.

My presumption is that I'll get as many years as I can from my RAV4, and then my next vehicle will be a used Lexus RX 350 (presuming they don't castrate it in the meantime like they did the RAV4 before I need one).

Note that premium/luxury vehicles like Lexus will cost noticeably/significantly more for repairs. But if I'm not mistaken, recent reliability reports actually put Lexus a little ahead of Toyota. So that's comforting.

These thoughts are based on research and knowledge of the specs of today's vehicles, NOT test drives and such because I'm not actually in the market right now. Just keeping an eye on things. Much may change in the future, but right at this time a used RX 350 is extremely high on my list, should I need a replacement vehicle.

If buying new and staying within this class, I might consider the Jeep Cherokee V6, but reliability concerns are fairly high. Right this minute I can't think of any other new vehicle in this class in which I'd be significantly interested anymore.

Reactions: Kinslayer17

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As much as Ive looked, I still can't find anything that matches the v6 RAV4, it truly is a JACK OF ALL TRADES (especially with the Limited and leather). Some handle better, or tow more, or get better mpgs, are slightly faster. But none of them that I can afford $$ can match or beat Toyota reliability/resale, plus all the above mentioned. I like the 2013-up RDX, but it can't tow. The Lexus is heavier, gets less mpgs, and is slower, but DAMN that interior looks plush and inviting (dash styling aside, those leather seats/carpet are PIMP). Keep in mind, Im not rich and am buying a used car, so money IS an option. I can get a lexus for about 2gs more than the kind of RAV4 I want, its hard to turn down that PLUSH luxury.

Maintenance is a non-issue, I have a great mechanic who is a BMW and a Toyota MasterTech, and is currently learning Audi/VW/Porsche. Its the Lexus specific parts I worry about. Being Toyota, I am hoping parts are reasonable (unlike the Germans).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DVS,

Are you interested in selling your 2012 and upgrading? :)

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,761 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah DVS, aren't you ready for some pampering in an RX350? I think they are ugly on the outside, but I'm in love with the black leather and woodgrain interior. Im sure it rides like a cloud too! The supply and color selection of 2011-up RX350s leads to some great deals!

So when can I pick up your 2012? ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL I feel that way about my Tacoma. With my bug out bag and my Tacoma, I will survive the Apocalypse. Well it was worth a try anyways :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts