Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife got a 2016 Rav4 XLE in november of 2016. She totaled it in Feb and we got a new 2017 this month (March). The 2017 has the front camera device behind the rearview mirror. I didn't think about this since it wasn't an issue on the 2016. On the 2016 we added an aftermarket homelink mirror with compass and auto dimming solely for the integrated garage door opener on the mirror. When it was totaled I removed the mirror and just had it installed in the new 2017. Now the mirror can't physically be adjusted to be useful due to the housing on the windshield that contains the camera safety system. Has anyone had luck adding an aftermarket Homelink mirror to the 2017 or any year model that includes the camera on the windshield? The arm on the mirror than connects the mirror housing to the windshield mount isn't long enough to compensate for the additional thickness of the camera housing. Any tips, tricks or workaround welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
There are usually two movable joints on a rear view mirror. One where it attaches to the windshield, and the second where it attaches to the mirror.

See this and this.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
Looks like you need a longer arm. Seems like these extension arms or extension mounts were available at one time. Maybe Gentex has them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like you need a longer arm. Seems like these extension arms or extension mounts were available at one time. Maybe Gentex has them.
Exactly! I was thinking someone made an extension arm but I've had no luck finding anything. This will become an issue with these cameras being standard on 2017's. If anyone finds a solution please let me know.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
The Homelink will let the thief to break in your car and open the garage door.
Not mine. It only powers up when the key is on.

·
Registered
644 Posts
We park our Rav4 in our garage and keep it closed so that doesn't matter.
If you car will get stolen, the car registration papers will guide the thief to you house.
Also the GPS will, if you entered you Home coordinates in GPS. Bills or other paperwork laying around also have your home address.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Not mine. It only powers up when the key is on.
Do you have aftermarket?
Mine stock Homelink mirror will open the garage door with no key.
I will try to rewire my Homelink, so it will work only if the key is on. Or some sort of phone connection or a combination.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you send pictures of the final assembly along with a Tutorial and parts of what you got to make this work. I'm looking to do the same thing.

Thanks.

We park our Rav4 in our garage and keep it closed so that doesn't matter. Also Mito makes a mount extension. It works beautifully. eBay has them for $79.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts