Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Rav4 Sport 2.4L 2WD Original U241E transmission suddenly dies within hours last Friday. Car has 207,000 miles.
Car wouldn't even move and sounded like thousands of rocks in there.

Had a certified used U140F transmission shipped in from MD and local mechanic did the transmission
swap. Picked up car today. Biggest problem is car won't go into Drive (D) after 3rd gear.
Will auto shift itself from 1st, to 2nd to 3rd but that's where it ends.

I know the mechanic had to swap out the end plate from the old tranny to the new to fit in the engine compartment but not sure if any sensors or anything else needed to be swapped from bad transmission to the newer replacement.

Does the ECM or ECU need to be reprogrammed or reset so the car can go into DRIVE? IS that the issue or something else?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
You should take it back where you got it installed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I thought they were shipping me the same U241E but they sent a U140F and said they were the same excpet that was a Japanese PN. (Right)
So I will check with mechanic if he transferred all possible sensors. Anything else I can do? Not a ECM reset issue?

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Well I thought they were shipping me the same U241E but they sent a U140F and said they were the same excpet that was a Japanese PN. (Right)
So I will check with mechanic if he transferred all possible sensors. Anything else I can do? Not a ECM reset issue?
The U140F is for 4WD model and the U241E is for 2WD model. This is the reason why your transmission is not working properly. Source is from here. Do you have 2WD or 4WD?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,836 Posts
The U140F is for 4WD model and the U241E is for 2WD model. This is the reason why your transmission is not working properly. Source is from here. Do you have 2WD or 4WD?
This is correct. You need the transmission control unit for a U140F--the one you have is meant to control a U241E and is most likely incompatible.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is correct. You need the transmission control unit for a U140F--the one you have is meant to control a U241E and is most likely incompatible.
Man am I ever pissed at the EBay company then! They had my VIN to double check to be sure it was correct transmission. In fact I called him before it showed and he assured me it would work and sent me the U140F transmission. It's in the car now and won't go past 3rd. Is this control unit external of the transmission or inside it?
Something I can buy?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Man am I ever pissed at the EBay company then! They had my VIN number to double check to be sure it was correct transmission. In fact I called him before it showed and he assured me it would work and sent me the U140F transmission. It's in the car now and won't go past 3rd. Is this control unit external of the transmission or inside it?
Something I can buy?
Thanks!
Just return the transmission otherwise you will do more damage to your vehicle. You won't be able to get around this dilemma. How much was the transmission?

·
Registered
682 Posts
It's terrible that you received the wrong transmission, but I'm wondering why didn't the mechanic/shop test drive it afterwards, instead of your finding out later?

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It's terrible that you received the wrong transmission, but I'm wondering why didn't the mechanic/shop test drive it afterwards, instead of your finding out later?

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk
Never mind that, why did the tech go ahead and install it anyway? If the tech wasn’t familiar enough to know not to install an AWD transmission into a FWD vehicle....

2012 RAV4 Base FWD.
Upgraded to large from brakes and 3rd row rear springs.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,836 Posts
OK, after further review of the service manual, the ECU (Engine Control Unit) controls the transmission. This is located under the hood next to the battery. There are 4 different transmissions available for the 4.3. They are U140F (4 Speed 4WD) Automatic Transaxle, U151E (5 Speed 2WD) Automatic Transaxle, U151F (5 Speed 4WD) Automatic Transaxle, and U241E (4 Speed 2WD) Automatic Transaxle. Each one will have a unique ECU. There is also a specific RESET procedure for the ECU when a transmission is replaced. Disconnecting the battery won't do it:

INITIALIZATION
1. RESET MEMORY
NOTICE:
• Perform the RESET MEMORY procedures (A/T
initialization) when replacing the automatic
transaxle assembly, engine assembly or ECM.
• RESET MEMORY can be performed only with the
intelligent tester.
HINT:
The ECM memorizes the vehicle conditions when the
ECT controls the automatic transaxle assembly and
engine assembly. Therefore, when the automatic
transaxle assembly, engine assembly, or ECM has been
replaced, it is necessary to reset the memory so that the
ECM can memorize the new information.
The reset procedures are as follows.
(a) Turn the ignition switch OFF.
(b) Connect the intelligent tester to the CAN VIM. Then
connect the CAN VIM to the DLC3.
(c) Turn the ignition switch ON and turn the tester ON.
(d) Enter the following menus: DIAGNOSIS /
ENHANCED OBD II.
(e) Perform the reset memory procedures from the
Engine menu.
CAUTION:
After performing the RESET MEMORY
procedures, be sure to perform the ROAD TEST
(see page AX-12) as described earlier.
HINT:

The ECM learns through the ROAD TEST.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Never mind that, why did the tech go ahead and install it anyway? If the tech wasn’t familiar enough to know not to install an AWD transmission into a FWD vehicle....
Good point, that's something the OP will need to respond. If the tech had noted the difference(s) and OP signed a waiver to go ahead with the work, the tech/shop may not be held responsible.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just return the transmission otherwise you will do more damage to your vehicle. You won't be able to get around this dilemma. How much was the transmission?
$475 shipping included w/ R&L freight. Reason I went this way was car (207,000mi) isn't really worth much more than the $1300 I spent for the labor and transmission. Only reason I didn't sell was girlfriend loves the car, I just put in $1200 in new A/C, blower motor, new radiator, new cooling fans, alternator, brakes, battery and tires in past year. Also engine was rebuilt from oil ring failure recall at 150K miles so had Toyota do some other work to engine while out of car.

These transmissions are pulled from working or wrecked car in Japan with 50K-75K miles on them (allegedly).

I talked with owner there today. He stated I needed to swap the speed sensor & the gear selector switch from the bad transmission to the new one and that should do it. He insists this will work. The company I bought this from told me they swap these transmissions for customers in MD and they know what they are doing when they state this will work.
So got to go with what they tell me for now since I'm this deep in financially now. My local mechanic that did my swap stated today he did not swap out the speed sensor and gear selector switch so will see what happens tomorrow when he does.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good point, that's something the OP will need to respond. If the tech had noted the difference(s) and OP signed a waiver to go ahead with the work, the tech/shop may not be held responsible.
It's not a 4WD transmission, it's definitely a 2WD even though you'd think it was by the fact he said he shipped a U140F.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is a 2WD. That's a great U chart for reference. Is there any markings on the transmission to indicate the model?
There is no axle port for the rear wheel drive portion, just the front 2 axle holes. Maybe Japan labels them differently as these transmissions were pulled out of working or wrecked cars in Japan.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
$475 shipping included w/ R&L freight. Reason I went this way was car (207,000mi) isn't really worth much more than the $1300 I spent for the labor and transmission. Only reason I didn't sell was girlfriend loves the car, I just put in $1200 in new A/C, blower motor, new radiator, new cooling fans, alternator, brakes, battery and tires in past year. Also engine was rebuilt from oil ring failure recall at 150K miles so had Toyota do some other work to engine while out of car.

These transmissions are pulled from working or wrecked car in Japan with 50K-75K miles on them (allegedly).

I talked with owner there today. He stated I needed to swap the speed sensor & the gear selector switch from the bad transmission to the new one and that should do it. He insists this will work. The company I bought this from told me they swap these transmissions for customers in MD and they know what they are doing when they state this will work.
So got to go with what they tell me for now since I'm this deep in financially now. My local mechanic that did my swap stated today he did not swap out the speed sensor and gear selector switch so will see what happens tomorrow when he does.
No luck. after swapping out the speed sensors and the gear selector switch, it still won't go from 3rd to Drive. 8-(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you able to move the shifter to the left notch to enable to the tiptronic and shift the car into drive?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Japan cars have different ECU's too. Even pinouts at the harness can be different between different markets.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts