Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Found a JDM dealer in Orlando that has a U241 transmission with the correct plate on the side (last one I got I had to remove the Camry mount and replace with Rav4 side plate). Turned out JDM MD sent me a U140F which will never appear to work so trying again.
My door plate states I had a U241E transmission (06/2006). The FL JDM dealer selling me the used tranny states his is a U241, no "E". He states it'll work, no difference, just Japan's way of marking it. Somewhere I read the "E" meant electronic and if that's the case, that's what came out of my 2006 Rav4 Sport 2.4L 2WD.

Are they the same or should I steer clear?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Update: Now the RAV4 is "bucking" at idle or neutral. Getting code P0238 for faulty knock sensor now. No other codes but motor is running rough. Not sure if the transmission caused this code to appear or if the knock sensor went bad because of the wrong transmission. Anyway at least it was driving ok before in all speeds except Drive before. Now I have to shifty manually from 1,2,3. Car would never be able to limp anywhere starting in "D" now.
Fixed the bucking..Bad #3 coil.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Found a JDM dealer in Orlando that has a U241 transmission with the correct plate on the side (last one I got I had to remove the Camry mount and replace with Rav4 side plate). Turned out JDM MD sent me a U140F which will never appear to work so trying again.
My door plate states I had a U241E transmission (06/2006). The FL JDM dealer selling me the used tranny states his is a U241, no "E". He states it'll work, no difference, just Japan's way of marking it. Somewhere I read the "E" meant electronic and if that's the case, that's what came out of my 2006 Rav4 Sport 2.4L 2WD.

Are they the same or should I steer clear?
It appears that all the Toyota U transmissions have "E" designation at the end. It is probably a U241E.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Update: 12/20/2020:
Here we go:
Bought a U241 tranny in Orlando and had a new mechanic swap it in the 2006 Rav4 2WD 2.4L.
He drove it for 15-16 miles he said, shifting fine thru all 4 speeds, then, it replicated what had happened before with the U140F. It wouldn't go into D or 4th gear automatically or using the shift console. The VSC light stays on all the time.
So does the little icon of the skidding car. What gives here? Any ideas?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Your door plate indicates a U241E, yet you still went ahead and got a U241 since the mechanic said it'll work. Obviously, there are some differences that your vehicle doesn't like. Why not just get the proper transmission in the first place?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Were any parts transferred over to the new tranny (i.e. sensors, TCM)? I do seem to remember reading that swapping trannys may require that there be some reprogramming, especially those from that era. I would think the TCM would require an update but can't say for sure.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Were any parts transferred over to the new tranny (i.e. sensors, TCM)? I do seem to remember reading that swapping trannys may require that there be some reprogramming, especially those from that era. I would think the TCM would require an update but can't say for sure.
The mechanic was going to do that yesterday or hopefully today.
The original sensors from the original blown transmission have all been moved to the new one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Your door plate indicates a U241E, yet you still went ahead and got a U241 since the mechanic said it'll work. Obviously, there are some differences that your vehicle doesn't like. Why not just get the proper transmission in the first place?
The new mechanic said it was just the way they stamp them in Japan. He's done several of these on a Rav4 before but hasn't seen this issue before.
It can't be dumb luck I got two bad transmissions in a row.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The mechanic was going to do that yesterday or hopefully today.
The original sensors from the original blown transmission have all been moved to the new one.
He is replacing the knock sensor too which is showing up in the code.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I have read that a U241E and a U241 are the same. E stands for electronic and all Toyota transmission of this model after 1985 are electronic. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
E stands for electronic and all Toyota transmission of this model after 1985 are electronic. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Wrong.
On the U1xx, U3xx, U6xx, U7xx transmission series, the letters "E" and "F" represent "2WD" or "4WD/AWD" models, respectively. The letters carry over that notation on U2xx models, but since the U2xx are only 2WD... there is no "F" for them. Probably the stamping on the case doesn't have the E.

This is from the service manual:

You need to perform the RESET MEMORY procedures (A/T initialization) when replacing the automatic transaxle assembly, engine assembly or ECM.
The ECM memorizes the vehicle conditions when the ECT controls the automatic transaxle assembly and engine assembly. Therefore, when the automatic transaxle assembly, engine assembly, or ECM has been replaced, it is necessary to reset the memory so that the ECM can memorize the new information.
The reset procedures are as follows.
(a) Turn the ignition switch OFF.
(b) Connect the intelligent tester to the CAN VIM. Then connect the CAN VIM to the DLC3.
(c) Turn the ignition switch ON and turn the tester ON.
(d) Enter the following menus: DIAGNOSIS / ENHANCED OBD II.
(e) Perform the reset memory procedures from the Engine menu.
CAUTION:
After performing the RESET MEMORY procedures, be sure to perform the ROAD TEST.
HINT:
The ECM learns through the ROAD TEST.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Wrong.
On the U1xx, U3xx, U6xx, U7xx transmission series, the letters "E" and "F" represent "2WD" or "4WD/AWD" models, respectively. The letters carry over that notation on U2xx models, but since the U2xx are only 2WD... there is no "F" for them. Probably the stamping on the case doesn't have the E.

This is from the service manual:

You need to perform the RESET MEMORY procedures (A/T initialization) when replacing the automatic transaxle assembly, engine assembly or ECM.
The ECM memorizes the vehicle conditions when the ECT controls the automatic transaxle assembly and engine assembly. Therefore, when the automatic transaxle assembly, engine assembly, or ECM has been replaced, it is necessary to reset the memory so that the ECM can memorize the new information.
(b) Connect the intelligent tester to the CAN VIM. Then connect the CAN VIM to the DLC3.
(d) Enter the following menus: DIAGNOSIS / ENHANCED OBD II.
(e) Perform the reset memory procedures from the Engine menu.
CAUTION:
After performing the RESET MEMORY procedures, be sure to perform the ROAD TEST.
HINT:
He , the mechanic, is taking the car to Toyota today to try this.
Hope it does it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
OK, after further review of the service manual, the ECU (Engine Control Unit) controls the transmission. This is located under the hood next to the battery. There are 4 different transmissions available for the 4.3. They are U140F (4 Speed 4WD) Automatic Transaxle, U151E (5 Speed 2WD) Automatic Transaxle, U151F (5 Speed 4WD) Automatic Transaxle, and U241E (4 Speed 2WD) Automatic Transaxle. Each one will have a unique ECU. There is also a specific RESET procedure for the ECU when a transmission is replaced. Disconnecting the battery won't do it:

INITIALIZATION
1. RESET MEMORY
NOTICE:
• Perform the RESET MEMORY procedures (A/T
initialization) when replacing the automatic
transaxle assembly, engine assembly or ECM.
• RESET MEMORY can be performed only with the
intelligent tester.
HINT:
The ECM memorizes the vehicle conditions when the
ECT controls the automatic transaxle assembly and
engine assembly. Therefore, when the automatic
transaxle assembly, engine assembly, or ECM has been
replaced, it is necessary to reset the memory so that the
ECM can memorize the new information.
(b) Connect the intelligent tester to the CAN VIM. Then
connect the CAN VIM to the DLC3.
(d) Enter the following menus: DIAGNOSIS /
ENHANCED OBD II.
(e) Perform the reset memory procedures from the
Engine menu.
CAUTION:
After performing the RESET MEMORY
procedures, be sure to perform the ROAD TEST
(see page AX-12) as described earlier.
HINT:

Thank you for this info JuneBug. After a long winding road, the transmission mystery (at least to me and the mechanic #2) is over.
The transmission #2 (U241E) that was installed by new mechanic 2 weeks ago weeks ago, that also would not go into drive, was taken to a Toyota dealership by him near Orlando. They reset the ECU and the TCM he informed me. RAV-ee, (as I like to call her now), is going into "D" and driving like new!
You rock with that info, in fact my local Toyota dealership declined to reset ECU/TCM for transmission #1 in November, telling me it wouldn't help, that it had "internal transmission failures".

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Sometimes these mechanic need to get a refresher course because they are suppose to know Toyota better than anyone. That mechanic should be fired. Any how I am glad you finally have it working.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Thanks for your update. Glad that you finally came to the end of this rocky road.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts