Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would first like to thank everyone in this forum with all the help in my project. I have already installed the following in my 3SFE engine

It has almost 60,000 miles on it. But religiously I've change the oil every 3,000 miles. :clap: The mods are

Header, Pace Setter with 2.25 and Magnaflow muffler
TRD Thermostat
TRD Radiator Cap
Pivot Ground Kit
MSD 6A
Blaster SS Coil
Intake funnel
Next Level Performance Tri-Phase Kit
Oil Cooler
Gear Box and Axle coolers
Nology Wires and Spark Plugs

I also have a turbo kit but that is for next year. Anyway, the day I rolled it off the show room Toyota Dealer. I've NEVER changed the timing.

How much should I set the timing?

·
Registered
432 Posts
I know for a fact on mine (though its a 96) the distributor is in a fixed position. I also remember DJ saying that it was locked out as well. (according to his experience)

I know MSD makes a box that I believe hooks right up to the MSD 6 box you have. As well as the SCI that I have. I checked. It does. PN 8680 is the part number. Adjustable 15 degree advance or retard.

Frankly, I'm surprised you didn't remember this. :p

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As Sammy tells me it’s a little more then just this part. He told me that it's easier. It consists of changing the ignition to an older model, it can be done. :wink:

This is cool, but expensive, $121.00 at Summit. :!: But it has a problem.
http://store.summitracing.com/MSD+8680

This is the PDF.
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/8680_frm 24828.pdf

This is an old trick, I thought you guys new this :? One more thing, the MSD adjustable timer, cannot be used with Locked distributor, sorry.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Interesting....

How did you find out that it cannot be used with a locked distributor? I didn't read anything about it inside the pdf file.

Also, try to let us know more about this other thing you got goin' on. Later

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well Mr. Man, I've got some interesting news from MSD. Here ya go

The 8680 should work just fine for your application. It will allow you to retard the timing up to 15 degrees, then advance it back if necessary. However, the 8680 would not work by itself without the SCI ignition control.

SCI in my case, 6A in yours. Same ignition system.
8) :D

How did the thing go with Sammy regarding this?

A

·
0 Posts
mensajero said:
Well, I already asked Sammy. My ex-student who works at my local Toyota Dealer. He told me that the 97 ignition can be rotated and timed with a timing light. It is a little hard at first. But a little WD-40 can help.
If it's a 3s-fe without ODBC II just short TE1 and E1 in diagonostic - put your timing strobe on Cyl 1 and check mark on crank pulley is at 10 (if not undo 2 bolts on distributor and rotate it)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts