Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Our tires have reached the warning bars so it is that time. 32,000 on the original tires bought the car new in February 2017. I have looked at several tires, my Dealer is getting into the tire selling business and alignment. To my surprise their prices are competitive with tire shops. Anyway I am leaning towards the Yokohama Avid Ascend 235/55r or Ascend GT if they have them. Any thoughts or anyone recently replaced their OEM tires? 馃槑

Registered
Our tires have reached the warning bars so it is that time. 32,000 on the original tires bought the car new in February 2017. I have looked at several tires, my Dealer is getting into the tire selling business and alignment. To my surprise their prices are competitive with tire shops. Anyway I am leaning towards the Yokohama Avid Ascend 235/55r or Ascend GT if they have them. Any thoughts or anyone recently replaced their OEM tires? 馃槑
My Dunlop tires on my 2017 RAV4Hybrid have 43,000, mostly worn out. I wanted new tires before heading for Arizona, so bought Michelin Defenders. They have a great reputation, & tread wear number of 820.

Registered
There are different types of Defenders. The one most appropriate for the Rav is the Defender LTX M/S, although it will cost you some MPG - especially in cold weather. The Defender T&H will give you more tread life and slightly less traction, more of an A/S type tire.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Well, we decided on the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT and have an appointment for installation on Wednesday 12/4. After reading reviews of several tires including a set of Michelins, it appears to us to be the best deal. I was surprised at some of the reviews of Michelin tires in general, seems that Michelin isn鈥檛 what they once were. 馃槦

Registered
Well, we decided on the Yokohama Avid Ascend GT and have an appointment for installation on Wednesday 12/4. After reading reviews of several tires including a set of Michelins, it appears to us to be the best deal. I was surprised at some of the reviews of Michelin tires in general, seems that Michelin isn鈥檛 what they once were. 馃槦
What were your original tires? Will these perform like the originals? I going to eventually have to do the samething, but don't want to take a mpg hit. Currently, I have the Bridgestone Ecopia tires.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
My original tires are Yokohama Geolanders and we have about 33,000 miles on them. They are down to the warning bars. They were ok, my wife and both felt they were not the best cornering tires, they felt slightly mushy and had a tendency to under steer. That however may be how a RAV 4 handles, as far as mpg, we have gotten from 31 in the winter, to a high of 38 in the summer, usually around 35-36 average. It is my wife鈥檚 car and she drives it like any car we have owned, no attempt to hyper mile, just put it gear and go!
I am hoping these out perform the original tires

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Well we have the Avid Ascend GT tires on and have about 110 miles on them. I haven鈥檛 driven with them on yet, but my wife loves them. She noticed the difference in ride and handling in the first few minutes of driving. The trip home was 90 miles and mostly on a winding country road speed limit 55 mph, of course she set the cruise at 60. They were noticeably quieter than the old Geolanders.

Registered
My 2016 Rav4 hybrid had the Ecopia 422 H/L by Bridgestone. I just replaced them at 41,000 miles with the same tire from the local Firestone dealer. These are warranted for 70,000 miles with rotating them every 5,000 miles. The manager there said that original tires are softer than aftermarket, therefore will not go as long. I paid $186.00 a tire. I am happy. And by the way, this Toyota I have is the best vehicle I have ever owned. And in 58 years, I have owned a bunch.

Registered
My 2016 Rav4 hybrid had the Ecopia 422 H/L by Bridgestone. I just replaced them at 41,000 miles with the same tire from the local Firestone dealer. These are warranted for 70,000 miles with rotating them every 5,000 miles. The manager there said that original tires are softer than aftermarket, therefore will not go as long. I paid $186.00 a tire. I am happy. And by the way, this Toyota I have is the best vehicle I have ever owned. And in 58 years, I have owned a bunch.
Can you tell a difference between the OEM and new tires? How do they perform?

Registered
Can you tell a difference between the OEM and new tires? How do they perform?
As far as I can tell right now the ride is the same but they do seem somewhat quieter especially on concrete. But I am looking forward to the longer wear, but that is years away.

Registered
Yokohama Geolander G015's on both Subarus for 3 seasons and Blizzaks in winter. The Yoko's are a smooth quiet ride for an AT and not much of a mileage hit.

Registered
We have a 2017 RAV4h Limited. Does anyone know if it is ok to put on Michelin Defender T+H in the 235/60-R18 size? Normal size is 235/55-R18.

Registered
We have a 2017 RAV4h Limited. Does anyone know if it is ok to put on Michelin Defender T+H in the 235/60-R18 size? Normal size is 235/55-R18.
I'd go with the Defender LTX M/S instead. Better traction, better MPG and available in all sizes. The T&H might be a little quieter and last a little longer but IMO the trade-off isn't worth it. And no, you shouldn't use the taller tire.

Premium Member

Registered
^^^^ Check that first link again. T&H is made in 235/60-R18.

But, as per what folks are saying, I am not going to deviate from the normal size. I think the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II, Yokohama Avid Ascend LX, or maybe the Goodyear Assurance MaxLife might be good candidates.

Premium Member
^^^^ Check that first link again. T&H is made in 235/60-R18.

But, as per what folks are saying, I am not going to deviate from the normal size. I think the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II, Yokohama Avid Ascend LX, or maybe the Goodyear Assurance MaxLife might be good candidates.
Oops, I missed the scroll bars on my screen! I considered Pirelli, but way too many complaints about defect claims being denied by the mfr, the Plus II appears to be new with hardly any reviews, maybe they made some improvements. The Michelin Defender LTX MS has a proven track record and excellent reviews at TR and Discount tire and the bargain at Costco was hard to pass up at $174 each including tax and mounting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts