Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Harold Kroeker, I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada and I was one of the members of the RAV4-L mailing list back in 1997 when I bought my first Rav4. With the help of the list members, especially Kelly Smith who I see is member 1 in this group, I installed 1998 cupholders in my 1997 Rav4, put a light in the ashtray using Camry parts, and delt with numerous little foibles that show up on a first year car. The mailing list suddenly stopped a few years later and I never tried very hard to find it again. When I heard about a V6 Rav4 coming out, I started looking for more information and found this web site. I closed the deal today on a 2006 Rav4 V6 Limited with the premium option package and will be trading in my reliable 1997 Rav4 as part of the deal. It will be built in January and I should take delivery in late February or early March. I look forward to participating in the forums as all of the new model owners discover the problems and fixes associated with a totally redesigned vehicle. It will be just like 1997 all over again.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
WOW... welcome (back :lol: ) Harold :D Great to see a familiar name from the old RAV4-List. Was it a tough decision to trade in your 1997 model? How's it been holding up for you over the years?

I'm still driving my 1996 2DR. Will be turning 154,000 miles later this week :D

Wonder how many other members here were past members of the "Original" RAV4-List :? Does this bring back memories --> http://web.archive.org/web/19991005085623/http://midrange.com/rav4-l.htm

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kelly!
It's good to "see a familiar face". My 1997 Rav4, 4dr, AWD, 5 spd manual, base model except for A/C, has been trouble free for 113,000 km. Just gas, oil, and the scheduled timing belt replacement at 96,000 km. I was not even mildly tempted to buy a new Rav4 until the V6 was announced. I have a 2000 lb 8' pop-up camper that I have been towing with my wife's Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe because it would have been a bit much for the Rav in the mountains. While the Accord worked okay as a tow vehicle, it was far from ideal because it was hard to load and we couldn't put our kayaks or canoe on the roof of the car. The Accord also gave me a taste of the creature comforts that a vehicle can have like climate control, heated leather seats, a great stereo, quiet ride, and gobs of power. Once you've experienced luxury, it's hard to go back. I took a 2006 Rav4 limited for a test drive and was very impressed with the improvement over my 1997. The only thing that I noticed was a lack of power but the V6 will take care of that. In the end, it's a no brainer for me but my needs and wants have changed a fair bit in the last 9 years. Fortunately the Rav4 design has changed with me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts