Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 03 rav4 sport has about 68,000+ miles on it. only tune-ups i've done so far are oil changes, tire rotations, and air filter replacements.

should i need to change the tranny fluid and flush the cooling system? what else should i do?

i know my spark plugs are good til 100,000 miles

·
Registered
986 Posts
If that is all you've done so far, it's time for the more major services.

- Tranny fluid change
- Differential fluid change (if it's 4WD)
- Cooling system flush
- Brake service (it should be about time for at least the front)

That should cover just about everything, all the other little things that the dealer adds on are just for them to make money and aren't needed.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff said:
If that is all you've done so far, it's time for the more major services.

- Tranny fluid change
- Differential fluid change (if it's 4WD)
- Cooling system flush
- Brake service (it should be about time for at least the front)

That should cover just about everything, all the other little things that the dealer adds on are just for them to make money and aren't needed.
cool. i'll probably have the tranny and cooling system flushed. all the other little things are just "inspected" and it does definitely raise the price ridiculously high. thanks for the info.

·
Registered
986 Posts
'01+ Ravs do not have timing belts, they have timing chains, which have a longer lifespan before they need to be serviced (100,000+ miles).

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Liz,
Timing chains do stretch, but they rarely break or need replacement. The only real wear part in the system would be the tensioner pads...heh, if the RAV even has those, but I'd think it would...

Bogatyr

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i had the coolant flush done and the old coolant was almost the same color as the new coolant. oh well... at least that was taken care of, but it cost a pretty penny for the service ($130)

the brakes are pretty much worn down. need to have them done and the service runs about $200+ at the dealership.

i needed new tires. i got some yokohamas for about $500.

i have to do the tranny fluid next. it doesnt really need changing until 90,000 miles from what i was told.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts