Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else of the opinion the newer RAV4 models just suck? No more V6 option, 4wd only on hybrid... They basically neutered it. Now you have to go to the Highlander to get what you used to in the base model.

>:D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah I dont like how they removed the rear tire on the trunk door, and the 2013-2015 ones specifically were terrible to look at. But they did come with better mpg and that all what most people care about now a days.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I dont like how they removed the rear tire on the trunk door, and the 2013-2015 ones specifically were terrible to look at. But they did come with better mpg and that all what most people care about now a days.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Totally agree! They should have gone the diesel route for mpg, but diesel is the devil according to the US EPA. :-(

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
I'm not about to trade my '11 V6 for a 4.4 RAV. Gasoline mileage isn't with the V6 isn't the best but gas has been comparatively inexpensive for quite a while now and is predicted to remain that way for at least the near future.

If I want better mileage but still with a torque-y engine Mazda promises to have a diesel CX-5 (I'll believe it when I see it) later this year, with highway mpg at about 40. Hyundai keeps promising that they will produce the Santa Cruz concept vehicle and it also will have a strong diesel option, but that's another "maybe" thing. Here, diesel fuel is about the same price as 87 gasoline. Meanwhile, my sister reports that her VW Golf TDI is still getting 48 highway mpg after the first EPA/CARB fix.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Anyone else of the opinion the newer RAV4 models just suck? No more V6 option, 4wd only on hybrid... They basically neutered it. Now you have to go to the Highlander to get what you used to in the base model.

>:D
gyrfalcon
4wd only on hybrid... ^^ I'm confused, with your statement.

At $31,565 with all-wheel drive, the 2016 RAV4 SE comes well-equipped with 2.5L gas engine.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-toyota-rav4-se-awd-test-review

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe a mood point in a uni-body SUV - 4x4 or AWD terms, are used very loosely these days.
- my 2000 4Runner (Gen3-3.4L) has true 4x4 (Hi-Lo Transfer Case) and built on a full truck frame

Wife's 2008 RAV4 Limited v6, is perfect for work commute, errands & all family trips.
- just her and I & the dog / bought it 2 years ago...and absolutely love it
- even then, I decided a 4 cyl. DD'er would not be in our driveway...and Turbo NOT either
- plus I don't care for the Gen4 design, lack of exterior spare tire & lift up hatch
Also in 2008, our v6 RAV4 was mated to a 5 speed auto. while the 4 cyl. got the 4 speed.
- what a joke, our 269 HP speed demon, gets similar gas mileage

In 4 more years and with +250K Km on the clock...a newer RAV4 is out of the question.
- hard to regress, once v6 spoiled
- a used v6 Highlander or sons v6 Lexus RX350, will be our next ride...3.5L rocks

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
ALL models are available with all wheel drive. The hybrid has it as standard.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the 4.4 (2015 XLE) and knowing what I know now I probably would have gone with a V6 with the towing prep package (small camper & boats). But coming from a 2000 Taurus, I can't complain with the gas mileage! I agree, a diesel option would be amazing, I would probably trade in...it would be nice to see them bring a diesel with a few more inches ground clearance a higher (3500 lbs) tow limit like they use to. I couldn't care less about some of the bells and whistles though...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ALL models are available with all wheel drive. The hybrid has it as standard.
Yeah I didn't mean to say it wasn't an option, just that it's what it has become... The V6 is no longer an option, and the standard features seems to move AWD in the same direction in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
11,136 Posts
Yeah I didn't mean to say it wasn't an option, just that it's what it has become... The V6 is no longer an option, and the standard features seems to move AWD in the same direction in my opinion.
Sorry, I don't understand. Even with the V-6 AWD was an option. We have two and both are front wheel drive.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I personally like the look of the new Rav4s but I can't see myself parting with my 2012 anytime soon unless down the road there was a sport/handing oriented compact SUV like the Mazdas but with something other than their engine offerings and less bling inside. Even though I'm anal retentive I for some reason like the utilitarian feel of my Rav4 without all the interior "sophistication".

As well I read a lot of articles and keep up with different news cycles (one of which is the auto industry) and I've seen so many head to head comparisons of the new gen Rav4 being chosen second against the new gen CR-V that I probably wouldn't consider the new Rav4 myself if for some reason (say a severe accident with my current Rav) that I was in the market again for a different vehicle.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I with the poster who likes the rear door mounted spare. Besides being able to carry a full-sized wheel and tire, this design also frees up all the wonderful under-floor storage space. On an aesthetic note, I think the exterior mounted spare better differentiates this SUV from a hatchback or a minivan, giving it a more rugged look.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Indeed. The door mounted spare is highly functional and looks good. The swing gate also makes it easy to use by my short wife who doesn't have to reach for a lifted gate and for my tall self not having to worry about banging my head on one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
FWIW, the 2013+ 4 cylinder only got 1mpg than the previous 4-banger, per CR. And that engine was only 1mpg better than the 2006-2012 V6. 24>23>22 avg. mpg
....so unless I'm missing something the MPG advantage of the newer model is modest.

The V6 is way more fun than worrying about 2 MPG. :)

·
Registered
8,581 Posts
At today's gas prices the difference in fuel mileage between the V6 and the gen. 4's 4-banger is of little consequence.

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
419 Posts
Our 2008 RAV4 Limited v6, has the 5 speed auto trans...the 4 cyl. is a 4 speed, and only 1mpg improvement.
- I'll take v6 with impressive 269 HP, given a very small sacrifice in gas mileage efficiency

A Toyota salesman said, the v6 option in the Limited model, got too expensive in Canada.
- as $2,000 more, got one a v6 Highlander
- so the 4 cyl. became mandatory in Gen4, to keep MRSP from crouching the v6 Highlander model
Our next ride, will be a v6 Highlander or Lexus RX350...no 4 cyl. vehicle, in our driveway

1 - 20 of 42 Posts