Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Cotton towels for drying is the way to go. I've saved so many old worn out bath towels that I have a ready supply as each towel gets too wet to dry any more. As for wash mitts, I have one for the upper part of the car and a separate one for the lower dirtiest parts where the road splash ends up. For tires, I use a soft brush. Oh, and for after washing the dirty towels in the washer, I use 3 wool dryer balls to make them fluffy soft and to be sure any residual dirt is removed from the towels. Never use fabric sheets on car drying towels. They leave a residue that streaks.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Instead of leaf blowers, you might consider one of these:

XPOWER A-2 Airrow Pro Blower. Not battery powered, but if you can use an extension cord, this might be a bit easier to handle than a long leaf blower. It comes with a number of attachments, and frankly, you can try other vacuum cleaner attachments you might have laying around the house. The main concept is that it is rather small and easy to handle, and you can focus the air stream towards the little nooks and crannies that tend to catch water. Absolutely no worries at all about whether this might be powerful enough -- it is plenty powerful. This thing was referred to on a detailing web site or YouTube video somewhere in my past -- I tried it, and I've been using it ever since.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Instead of leaf blowers, you might consider one of these:

XPOWER A-2 Airrow Pro Blower. Not battery powered, but if you can use an extension cord, this might be a bit easier to handle than a long leaf blower. It comes with a number of attachments, and frankly, you can try other vacuum cleaner attachments you might have laying around the house. The main concept is that it is rather small and easy to handle, and you can focus the air stream towards the little nooks and crannies that tend to catch water. Absolutely no worries at all about whether this might be powerful enough -- it is plenty powerful. This thing was referred to on a detailing web site or YouTube video somewhere in my past -- I tried it, and I've been using it ever since.
I was looking for something lighter and "shorter" than a leaf blower. This is it. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Amazon showed me some "recommendations" when I went back and dug up my old purchase -- and some of those were rechargeable. Many that look like this:

I sure can't speak to whether they might be as powerful as the XPOWER corded one, though.....

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I’m still a little surprised that TurtleWax Seal n Shine isn’t raved about here. I picked it up after a recommendation at Mazdas247. Its $7 at Walmart and you can do the entire car with it (paint, trim, and glass). Water beads well for months. Car is garage kept at night tho.
I have seen a few reviews of this. It seems to withstand a lot of chemical abuse too.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I just tried Seal and Shine on my Prius. It goes on and off as easy as Maguires Ultimate wax. We will see how long it lasts outside in Florida. I usually get about two months with Maguires between the torrential rain and blistering sun.

I’m still a little surprised that TurtleWax Seal n Shine isn’t raved about here. I picked it up after a recommendation at Mazdas247. Its $7 at Walmart and you can do the entire car with it (paint, trim, and glass). Water beads well for months. Car is garage kept at night tho. View attachment 149735

·
Registered
100 Posts
Microfiber is awesome. You need to actually buy quality though. Wash them first too. I love the waffle weave ones with a plush back side. I get all my microfibers from
TheRagCompany.com always great prices and quality stuff.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
That is why I was discourage of doing it myself. I've done so many mistakes in the past.
Discouraged from washing/waxing? Dont be. Two big rules. Dont wax in direct sunlight. Dont be sloppy with wax application.

Other more simple rules
[*] Assume wax will stain black anything that isnt painted (though most modern and advanced waxes/sealants will be safe)
[*] ALWAYS read the application/usage instructions
[*] Read up on how to do stuff through youTube, forums...etc. You will get a real good idea what is good and bad
[*] Have fun! Working on cars is relaxing for me.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts