Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

2015 Blizzard Pearl Limited with nav/tech/jbl package. Former vehicle was 2000 Tundra purchased new as well. The price point to benefit metric has the Rav4 topping-out above all other compact SUV's and of course "that's a good thing" In prior blog's I've noticed concern over lack of bass while in FM radio mode. I have the same problem along with another audio problem as well. My volume while streaming music from Bluetooth only goes up about 1/4 volume even with volume cranked all the way "MAX" I'm using HTC One M9 that has no issues with text or phone integration. I just want to hear my Spotify 320 kbps with some punch behind it. Did I overlook anything..? is this a warranty issue..?

NEW INFO OCT-11-15, I've fixed the Bluetooth issue with low volume when music is streaming. (1) While car is running turn down volume to just a notch below zero then turn car off. (2) lower the volume on your smart phone to just below zero then turn your car back on and that procedure should reset the head unit and then you can crank.... Note: still no fix for FM bass issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My issue is exactly the same, and the same for other owners. After about a week of feeling like I screwed myself for paying an extra 700 for the JBL system, I had to let it go and realize that the system sucks and go get the system upgraded at a professional shop. I know this is going to cost but I need audio comfort when driving.

Do your research and stop searching the radio for a magic button because it doesn't exist. Been there done that.......

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would suggest making sure the volume on the phone is maxed out in the app you are using to stream music after it is connected to the JBL unit.

On my Note 4 I have to max it out and then I'm able to listen to podcasts on anywhere from 12-25 headset audio volume which is still much higher than needed for the radio or SiriusXM.

Some phones will have a separate Bluetooth Volume and other just call it Media. My old S4 had a Bluetooth level and the Note now just shows Media. I also get a warning from the phone about playing at high volume levels every time I reboot my phone because it resets it to the max allowed before getting the warning but there is still more upward adjustment available.

Reactions: internalaudit

·
Registered
35 Posts
So if you upgrade the JBL system, which from the sound (no pun intended) of it is lousy, to aftermarket speakers, will that void the warranty if for example something should go wrong with the radio? The dealer might claim the radio is bad due to the aftermarket speakers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So if you upgrade the JBL system, which from the sound (no pun intended) of it is lousy, to aftermarket speakers, will that void the warranty if for example something should go wrong with the radio? The dealer might claim the radio is bad due to the aftermarket speakers.
This is a very good question.... I just got my girl CPO 2013 RAV with 20,xxx and the the bumper2 Bumper is 7yr/100,000 miles.... Very hesitant on taking it to the audio shop

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's not just the speakers in these JBL systems, it is the head unit itself that is the source of very bad audio.
I have tried to replace the speakers with several others, the only one that sounded better in our vehicle was a JBL 3 way I put in the rear doors, I ended up returning them, due to lower volume as our speakers require less power to drive them, and after listening to all the speakers in the store that I tried to replace with (that sounded outstanding in the store) all (but the JBL 3way) sounded the same or worse than our factory ones.

The head unit is the major cause of our sound issues, apparently the new vendor has hearing issues.
The pre equalizer settings that the vendor is setting is garbage (for all sources), this radio can and should sound great if we can get someone at Toyota to care enough to get the vendor to correct their issue.

Maybe one day an update will come out MAYBE.

All with this issue should complain to their dealers and Toyota.

My friend was at the dealer getting an oil change and someone with a Tacoma JBL was complaint also, so it's not just RAV4's......

Reactions: plusforce

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is bad enough for me to reconsider buying the 2015.
I doubt Toyota will offer a fix for it.
Perhaps there were enough complaints that the 2016 models will have an improved sound system.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is bad enough for me to reconsider buying the 2015.
I doubt Toyota will offer a fix for it.
Perhaps there were enough complaints that the 2016 models will have an improved sound system.
I don't think it will get fixed in 2016 either, like I said it is firmware related.
BUT you can order one without the JBL and I would do that. If I knew this I would order limited , tech, etc... BUT NO JBL.

I am actually thinking of contacting JBL about this as it is damaging their name, but they most likely would not care either.

The vehicle will most likely last us many years trouble free, BUT we have to put up with crap audio due to lack of care, the only way they seem to care is if a life tragedy happens, and with a radio issue that will never happen.

EDIT: Apparently you can not get the tech package without JBL today (THAT SUCKS), I would ask anyway, one never knows, but according to the web site no way.
I would not buy a JBL vehicle from Toyota today, and would tell the dealer that also if I wanted a car, don't let them BS you about the JBL system, maybe if it starts hitting sales they will do something about it!!

Yes, the JBL sounds really bad, FM at the top of the list, go and sit in a JBL then a non and compare for yourself, even the XM is bad, XM has plenty of extremely low bass, but lacks elsewhere. If you travel with someone and talk a lot then the radio may be fine due to the low audio you will use for background music. I actually want to use my $100 headphones that sound outstanding to the garbage JBL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Poor sound quality from JBL system

When I got my new 2015 Limited home, I sat in the garage for an hour trying to get the stereo to sound good and finally discovered what the problem was: it's the ASL system! When it was turned on, it sounded like crap even when it wasn't running, but as soon as I de-activated it, the sound changed dramatically for the better. You do need to go through all of the different "sources" for audio and make sure that you have the tone controls set where you want them for each. I do still notice slightly less bass in the FM mode than in the other sources, though, but it depends on which station I'm listening to.
All in all I am very happy with the fidelity of the system now. Just MHO of what worked for me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I got my new 2015 Limited home, I sat in the garage for an hour trying to get the stereo to sound good and finally discovered what the problem was: it's the ASL system! When it was turned on, it sounded like crap even when it wasn't running, but as soon as I de-activated it, the sound changed dramatically for the better. You do need to go through all of the different "sources" for audio and make sure that you have the tone controls set where you want them for each. I do still notice slightly less bass in the FM mode than in the other sources, though, but it depends on which station I'm listening to.
All in all I am very happy with the fidelity of the system now. Just MHO of what worked for me.
That has absolutely no affect in FM mode, I had it turned off since your post (I also tried other times) and it still sounds like crap, you can not listen to it sitting as you can hear some base (very little) as there is no road noise, as soon as we drive, no base at all noticeable. All you have to do is hook up your phone or use blue tooth and its night and day. Like I said before the more you listen the more you think there is base until you play XM or your phone audio.

We can not even change out the head unit with something else as we need our limiteds for controlling stuff for the vehicle.
Like adjusting auto hi beam settings.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Display Issues

I have a 2016 RAV4 Limited with the JBL GreenEdge radio. This is a little tricky to explain...When I change from AM or FM to XM the programmed channel display on the far left side stays on the AM or FM screen I was previously listing to, but the screen that shows what song is playing changes to the correct XM information. I have to manually scroll down the program list to get to the XM channel I am now listening to. Is anyone else having that issue?

I am also bummed it doesn't have a CD player. I know it's getting to be old school but I'm on the road a lot and I like to listen to audio books. CD audio book from the local "Friends of the Library" are cheaper and more convenient than downloading on another devise and using the Bluetooth. Should have looked closer at the radio when I bought it!

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,088 Posts
You can put those audio books on a thumb drive and take them with you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 Platinum with JBL

Has anyone done a speaker / amplifier upgrade on a JBL equipped RAV4 ? I am also very disappointed in the my purchase and wish I had bought a non JBL equipped Rav4. I worked with Crutchfield to equip my 14 Tundra with new speakers and an amplifier and was very pleased with a system that still used the factory head unit, it absolutely blows the Rav's JBL system away and at less cost! I would like to do the same for the Rav4 but if the head unit is the main problem this would probably not solve the poor sound quality problem.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have started a separate "Complain To Toyota" thread here:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/124...jbl-non-premium-sound-issues.html#post2516993

Please help get this issue resolved by adding your voice to to the din. If you previously ended your complaint at the dealer level it is HIGHLY LIKELY that Toyota Corporate never saw it. If they NEVER see it then it will NEVER get fixed. See the referenced post for the details.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts