Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The JBL sound is fantastic. I have the 6 AM stations programmed. Also the 12 FM presets are programmed. The multi CD changer plays MP3's as good as any premium MP3 player. When I choose AUX, my Ipod sounds as great as when it plays through my Bose. I just would like to know where is the 440 watt amp located?

·
Super Moderator
1,565 Posts
In the past, smaller amplifiers (displaced by the mechanicals of the 6CD changer) have been mounted directly behind the head unit, but at that rating, if it's only one amp, it may be too physically large (the size of a good hardback book). But to save on lengths of wires, I'd suspect it's as close to the head unit as possible -- in that case, still somewhere behind or under the dash. Another potential is under a front seat. It may also be a multi-component system where there are small amplifiers and crossovers in one or more of the doors.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
That is awesome. For those of you who might not know. JBL [which mean James B. Lansing] http://www.audioheritage.org/html/history/lansing/founding.htm
is [or was] a pioneer in sound and speaker development. He also had a little company which was called Altec-Lansing [read the link]. These speakers are State of the Art. They are in the category of Bose, Polk, AR [Acoustic Research], Infinity, Harmon/Kardon among others, which are very few. I'm surprized to see speakers of this quality in a RAV4.

8) 8)

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kelly Smith said:
Great find Anunn :D

So, it appears the AMP is located in the RIGHT REAR side panel 8)
http://www.jbltoyota.com/Toyota_rav4/amplifier.asp

I'm not a stereo expert... so my question is... the 440 watts is basicly 55 watts per channel :?
Thanks, less for me to wonder about. Interesting to know how the speaker layout is. I was an electronic tech. before loosing my job to outsourcing. Anyway, I am glad to see the subwoofer can handle up to 110 watts of power. For a subwoofer, the more wattage, the better.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANKS!!

Anunn said:
Here is a website that talks about the JBL for Toyota.

http://www.jbltoyota.com/

Hope it answers your question. :)

.....that will most definitely provide extremely useful info to many who want their questions answered!!!...Toyota (and other companies) generally claim all sorts of premium sound systems, but without SPECIFIC technical info, this becomes meaningless!!!....Thanks, once again, for pointing us to that website...You are what I would call a walking-talking encyclopedia!! :lol:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clarification!!

Kelly Smith said:
Great find Anunn :D

So, it appears the AMP is located in the RIGHT REAR side panel 8)
http://www.jbltoyota.com/Toyota_rav4/amplifier.asp

I'm not a stereo expert... so my question is... the 440 watts is basicly 55 watts per channel :?
Kelly,

note that the 440W of power quoted for the RAV4 amplifier, is "PEAK" power. The power quoted for other higher end models such as the 4-Runner (360W) may "sound" lower, but it is "true" power output, called RMS (Root Mean Square)...or in laymen terms "AVERAGE continous power", which is the figure that actually matters.

As far as dividing the power between channels, it's a "5-channel" sound system, so it should work out to 88W per channel, but it is generally not divided "equally" between channels. For example, I'm sure the SUBWOOFER probably gets something like 100W and the rest is probably divided maybe 85W x 4

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another website..

...I always knew that Lexus had a dedicated site for it's Mark Levinson systems (because of all the hype surrounding it), but was amazed that Toyota would have one such site dedicated for it's JBL line, as pointed out above by Anunn!! (simply because JBL, like BOSE etc. are only "medium-high-end" systems, unlike MARK LEVINSON, which can be considered "ultra-high-end")

FYI, below is the link to the website for Mark Levinson specs for Lexus models

http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com/

Also, HARMON INTERNATIONAL, is the parent company for JBL, HARMON/KARDON, INFINITY and MARK LEVINSON, with Mark Levinson being the absolute top of the line within these.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm glad to have been of some assistance. :D This forum has really helped influence my future purchase of a '06 RAV4. I love the fact that there will be an awesome audio system in the RAV4. Love to blast my music in the car!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Speaking of listening to MP3's, one of the things I liked about the new Rav is the aux jack in the center console to plug an MP3 player into. But then I got to thinking that since the 6 disc changer supports mp3/wma, why bother? I can load it up with 6 CDs of mp3's and be set! But it's nice to have both options.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
khakiboy said:
Speaking of listening to MP3's, one of the things I liked about the new RAV is the aux jack in the center console to plug an MP3 player into. But then I got to thinking that since the 6 disc changer supports mp3/wma, why bother? I can load it up with 6 CDs of mp3's and be set! But it's nice to have both options.
You are correct. I have one MP3 CD in my six CD changer and rarely use my Ipod. Since an MP3 CD can hold 100+ selections, it takes many hours to get through one. For those who don't burn there own CD's, the AUX jack in the console might be used more.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I pick up my 06 Rav4 Sport tomorrow! Spent part of the day today burning 5 CDs of mp3s. I can't wait for tomorrow!!!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
khakiboy said:
I pick up my 06 RAV4 Sport tomorrow! Spent part of the day today burning 5 CDs of mp3s. I can't wait for tomorrow!!!
I am happy for you. What color, post pictures when you can. I'll tell you how if you need help.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks! I'm getting Classic Silver. I was torn between Silver, Black, or Flint Mica. The silver is the only color of the 3 I had seen in person. Everyone tells me black is hard to keep clean, so i ruled that out. I think the flint mica would look really sharp, but none to be found around here. One local dealer is getting one in but didn't like how they were trying to play games with my wallet so wouldn't buy from them if they were the only one who had it. I really hate the car shopping process. I must admit I was a bit sad this evening when I cleaned out my 2000 Neon. The car had been good to me. But I just try to think that at this time tomorrow I'll have my new Rav! Gonna make sure the batteries for the digital camera are fully charged and will have pics ASAP!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts