Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

JBL speaker upgrade ideas?

7K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Firado 
#1 ·
Hi all

Just got myself a 2021 Prime SXE with the JBL audio system.

I have searched a lot on the forum and can find all sorts of ideas for upgrading the stock system, but very little for the JBL system. I'm only interested in upgrading the tweeters in the pillars and the mids in the dash. Does anyone know of a nice set of drivers that will fit in place of the OE stuff? Not willing to do a lot of "hacking" things up and so on. I have seen some videos on how it is taken apart which looks easy enough. I am also of the understanding that the adapters available for installing aftermarket speakers in the base system will not work in the JBL system - correct?

Any ideas on how one could "easily" upgrade the highs and mids would be greatly appreciated😀(y).

#4 · (Edited)
I was going to post, but the "Hacking" comment made me think what I did would be of little interest.

You can:
1. Replace one or more drivers.
2. Replace the drivers and amp.
a. A standard analog amp with more power.​
b. A DSP amp that allows time alignment and EQ​
3. If you want to get fancy, #2 may also involve adding a wiring harness. Does not mean cutting stuff up as they often have an interface with connectors that interface the old and new.

I am working on a write-up of all of my RAV mods. I have been waiting on the new slotted rotors to be released and getting the powder coating of the amps done.

Crutchfield has a page where input your make and model and they start to cover what can be done.

I went with the Morel Elate Carbon 63A for the front 3-way and then a cheaper Morel for the rear doors. The A means active and you are expected to provide crossovers, which was done in DSP for my RAV.

From what I gather, the JBL system has the better interface from the head unit to the JBL amp, which allows more options. I still have the JBL amp in my system, but it is only there for steering wheel control. I used the PAC AmpPRO harness to interface the head unit with the new amp and it requires the factory amp for steering wheel control.

One annoying with the wiring is that the way they ran the wire from one speaker to another up front vs. everything come from the amp. This is where a bit of hacking was involved in order to run new write instead of daisy chaining. (For lack of a better word)

There are multiple threads on the forum that discuss the JBL system and many that discuss the non JBL system. One thing you may run across is that the JBL sub is limited. This roll-off / protection seems to occur on the sub output channel of the amp itself, not the head unit. It really rolls off the bass going to the sub. Some have bought a 3rd party box to work around it. Some tapped the signal from another channel. In my case, the PAC uses the stereo 2-channel (digital audio) and re-does everything. The downside of this approach is you lose the front to rear fader. Since I have everything calibrated for competition audio, the loss of fader is not a big deal. I have no plans to compete, I just wanted high end audio.

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Audio equipment

Output device Car subwoofer Camera accessory Automotive tire Audio equipment

Camera lens Camera accessory Automotive tire Reflex camera Digital camera

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Grille Microphone

Output device Light Gadget Camera accessory Audio equipment

Output device Gadget Sound box Audio equipment Electronic instrument

I can try and answer questions, but what I did may be more than you are willing to do or even want to do.

What is it about the audio that you don't like or want to improve?

#6 · (Edited)
I could not be happier.

I am taking digital audio out of the head unit. This goes all the way to rear and through a TOSLINK splitter. One goes to the 1000.6 amp, which is 1000 watt x 6 channels. This is the left and right door, dash and A-pillar. The other goes to a 1000.4. This is the left and rear doors for rear-fill. And then the other two channels are bridged to drive a dual 10" subs.

I have a 4-way switch to select 1 of the 4 presets on the amps.
1. Calibrated for driver in driving position with the sub volume disabled. This means the sub is locked to the calibrated level.
2. Same as 1 but sub volume is adjustable if you want more or less bass based on taste.
3. Same as 1 but the seat is all the way back and down to fit any size person in the front seat.
4. Same as 2 but seat is same as 3.

The audio is calibrated the center of the sound stage is aligned with the rearview mirror. Some songs have a narrow soundstage and is almost mono. Others are spread out and almost wrap around you. The rear fill speakers have delay set to maximum and volume really low. Basically you don't want to be distracted by the rear speakers.

Normally you would only use 8-channels of DSP, which would result in mono rear-fill. I wanted stereo rear-fill, which is why we have two DSP amps.

By using toslink from headhunt to each DSP, the conversions between analog and digital are minimized. I use wired CarPlay to get lossless audio. Wireless CarPlay gets re-encoded to lossy. I think with the home pods they have a special mode to get wireless lossless to the speakers. But those details are fuzzy.

All of the metal surfaces have been dampened using butyl rubber. A floating barrier (closed cell foam with mass loaded vinyl) covers the floor to further block noise transmission. I recently pulled out the plastic panels in the rear and sprayed them with Secondskin Spectrum. Same for the wheel well liners.

I have posted all of these photos before, but I will repost again.

Systems Unlimited did the install and Brian Mitchell tuned the DSPs.

Butyl
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior

Toslink splitter
Auto part Machine Cameras & optics Metal Motor vehicle

Subs / Amps
Camera lens Flash photography Automotive design Audio equipment Camera accessory

DSP selector w/ throttle controller, ScanGauge III and bass knob. Bottom USB is for DSP amps, top USB is for CarPlay

Car Plant Satellite radio Automotive design Radio

Cargo Floor
Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Trunk

Automotive design Grille Grey Font Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Sleeve Rectangle Font Line

The silver stripes on the amps are what I plan to have powder coated red. The pattern in the acrylic is the Prime's front grill. (to scale)

Extra 12v battery
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

#10 · (Edited)
The use of orange power cables for the audio was to try and match the orange cables that Toyota used for power as well.

The custom cargo floor was also done a year after the install. Twice, while driving from Modesto to Thousand Oaks, the 6-channel amp shut down because of the heat. Both times it was while passing through Bakersfield and it was 104 outside per the heat reported on the dash. Or maybe it was just Bakersfield! There was no way for the heat to escape under the factory cargo floor. The idea was to have the air escape through the speaker grill over the subs. It is a mesh grill with speaker cloth over it. One of the reasons we used the grill cloth over the mesh was to hide that the subs were offset. Had they been more symmetrical, then we could have just used the mesh and exposed the subs instead of hiding them. The acrylic also has some holes in it for the heat to rise. On the plus side, the main amp worked as it should in that it shut itself down to not overheat. Before the cargo floor, I drove 14-hours each way (WA - CA) in the winter and did not experience any shutdowns.

I also installed a bluetooth battery monitor to ensure the 12v batteries never had any issues charging. I can also monitor battery info on the ScanGauge. I have not really taken the time to customize the pages on the ScanGauge.

A note on the sub enclosure. The subwoofers have a recommend volume for the enclosure. The bottom of the sub is fiberglass molded to the floor. They filled the enclosure with water until they reached the recommended volume from the spec sheet. Marked it off, drained the water and then cut the box down to size. Not sure if I described that very well.

Testing the LEDs
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Carbon Tints and shades

Sub enclosure
Table Rectangle Wood Flooring Publication

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Custom ScanGauge plate
Gear shift Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Gadget Communication Device Camera accessory Digital camera Cameras & optics

#20 · (Edited)
Hi. I want to replace the dash speakers in my 2020 RAV4H Limited with JBL. Does anyone know what Metra or RedWolf part number I need for the connector wire? I know what it is for non-JBL, but cannot seem to find the part number for the JBL system.

Edit: NVM, answering my own post. I ran across another thread that says I need a Metra 72-8109.