Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding the JBL stereo, does it have RDS-radio data system, like the one in the Avalon?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
RDS = Radio Data System. It's the extra radio signal used by stations to broadcast their call signs, genres, song titles, etc. If the RAV4's radio supports RDS it might say something like "COOL FM" instead of "FM 97.3".

·
Registered
35 Posts
HDFM

You're probably referring to stations that are transmitting on HDFM. I believe the feature of seeing station names and name of song is only available on radio sets that are HDFM ready. However like the last message, the radio head can display song titles and artist. I know that works with the MP3 files that you burn onto a disc.

And I don't think this radio is able to do alphanumeric tagging either.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
The Lexus radios can display RDS information of analog radio stations. There is a text button on the head unit that you can activate to display radio station text information, unfortunately, not too many radio stations in this area transmit text. Check your radio head unit, if it has a text button on it, then it has RDS.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for your replys.

So what I'm hearing is that it does not have RDS.

I'll bet it's in the European model!!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RDS and XM this spring

I hope the JBl is RDS capable. If it does then a new converter from Audiovox/TERK will allow the JBL headunit to display text infomationfor XM radio. Channel #, song title, artist, etc. this converter is due out this spring. Can anyone confirm that the JBl is RDS capable or not? It does have a text button, but the manual says that it is for CD text info.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: RDS and XM this spring

The RAV is not RDS capable. My 98 Lexus GS400 was and that feature is nice.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is quite lame if it is NOT. My wife's Camry SE has this feature and I personally think its pretty neat.

VERY lame if the new RAV (even only with upgraded stereo) doesnt offer this?!?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
hmm, my Rav DOES have the text button.. Let me check tonight...

The G Man said:
The Lexus radios can display RDS information of analog radio stations. There is a text button on the head unit that you can activate to display radio station text information, unfortunately, not too many radio stations in this area transmit text. Check your radio head unit, if it has a text button on it, then it has RDS.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That text button on mine (which isn't the JBL deal) only displays
various info on the MP3 discs that I put in.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You sure can, but expect it to be much much more expensive than standard aftermarket stereo system upgrades/installs.

Here in MA, they wanted $900 to install the factory JBL setup after the fact.

For that kind of $, you can get better stuff than JBL installed.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got a one year free trial of sirus radio and the station display
text on the jbl system.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This was a free trial all I see extra is the receiver mounted on
the window above the mirror. The headset is the same.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: RDS and XM this spring

TICMXMAN said:
I hope the JBl is RDS capable. If it does then a new converter from Audiovox/TERK will allow the JBL headunit to display text infomationfor XM radio. Channel #, song title, artist, etc. this converter is due out this spring. Can anyone confirm that the JBl is RDS capable or not? It does have a text button, but the manual says that it is for CD text info.
Where can I get information on this Audiovox/Terk unit you are referring to that comes out this spring? I want XM radio, but I would rather it come through my JBL head unit, than an aftermarket SKify2 or something. That way I can use the steering wheel controls :?:

·
Registered
379 Posts
I ordered the JBL in my Rav as well. Is the JBL sytsem just speakers and an amplifier? Or is it the radio too, are we justing listening to a upgraded toyo radio through JBL spekers?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts