Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The JBL subwoofer causes noticable vibrations w/i the spare tire or toneau cover. The cover is tight. The spare is tight. Noraml listening volume about 15-21 on the radio face. Bass is at a resonable level. A little distortion can be heard from inside, but really noticable when your outside next to the spare. It is definately comming from the spare tire/toneau cover. Not the speaker. Anyone have this problem? Maybe a normal sound too because the subwoofer is in the tailgate. Thanks.

L

·
0 Posts
I'm on the same boat. I noticed this the other day. Mine is coming from the spare tire cover. I know this because if I hold the spare tire cover with my hands, the vibrating "buzzes" stop. Also, I get minor vibration from the interior sub's grill. It doesn't bother me, but it would be nice to get rid of.

One fix may be some strategically placed putty to fill the area(s) where vibration occurs.

Anyone else have a better fix? Thanks in advance

Lance

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Did you guys see what happens to the rear window when the bass from the subwoofer is boomin'? Had a song on CD cranked up to about 23 with a lot of bass in the track, and as I looked out the rear view mirror - wow! - the road behind is blurred and vibrating!! Thought there was something wrong with my eyes, but the heavy basslines must have vibrated the rear window so everything was intermittently blurred, folowing the beat of the bass guitar.

That door mounted subwoofer must really vibrate the whole back door and window if you crank the volume a little!! 8)

OC

L

·
0 Posts
OCinsomniac,

That may be the rear-view mirror itself that was vibrating. I know mine does. Or the window.... or both!

Lance

S

·
0 Posts
Lance said:
I'm on the same boat. I noticed this the other day. Mine is coming from the spare tire cover. I know this because if I hold the spare tire cover with my hands, the vibrating "buzzes" stop. Also, I get minor vibration from the interior sub's grill. It doesn't bother me, but it would be nice to get rid of.

One fix may be some strategically placed putty to fill the area(s) where vibration occurs.

Anyone else have a better fix? Thanks in advance

Lance
You can go to a stereo shop and get a Dyno Mat speaker kit. This will help deaden the extraneous vibrations giving you a better bass sound. I have seriously thought abut DYNO Matting my entire RAV4 to improve internal sound and deaden road noise. :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To fellow Ravers that have this problem w/ the subwoofer in the JBL sytem. Took my RAV to the dealer yestrerday got tired of the RAV sounding like a teenagers 86 Chevy Caprice going down the road. He put four soft rubber spacers on the inside of the cover to meet the spare, which made a nice tight fit. Now when I listen to classic rock and crank it up to 42 or so there is no cheap vibration rattle. However, the cover still vibrates to the touch, but no exterior noise.

C

·
0 Posts
inlets said:
To fellow Ravers that have this problem w/ the subwoofer in the JBL sytem. Took my RAV to the dealer yestrerday got tired of the RAV sounding like a teenagers 86 Chevy Caprice going down the road. He put four soft rubber spacers on the inside of the cover to meet the spare, which made a nice tight fit. Now when I listen to classic rock and crank it up to 42 or so there is no cheap vibration rattle. However, the cover still vibrates to the touch, but no exterior noise.
hmm...i notice you have a limited...with full hardshell cover. sport/base come with half hard/half soft. i wonder how well those spacers would work with the half&half covers...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have this problem also. I think my wife had her anti man loving Madonna Confessions cd in and cranked. The sub was kickin at 2 and vol at 40 and at first glance in my mirrors I thought I was goiing to blow out side windows and quarter panels.

I have the limited with hard shell spare. Can you possibly post a picture of the spacers and where exactly he placed them? I would love to move the bass up to mach 3.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rock on girl! :lol: 40 is nothing it will not do that w/ the spacers. I crank my classic rock tunes to 55 or more, nothing, Ahhh pictures you ask, I having a heck of time loading them to my album. just about given up. But to describe the spacers: There two semi hard spacers that fit snugly jammed between the hard cover and the door indentation where the spare is mounted. There are three soft rubber spacers/sponges on the inside of the cover,smashed against the tire so to speak. They all appear to be cemented in place, maybe w/ double sided tape. The spare tire cover is very snug even when you unsnap the lock, it does not remove as easily as it did before the installation. All fastners stay in place though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts