Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my first high end variant, limited with tech package. I'm expecting a mind blowing audio experience with JBL Synthesis audio system but I would like to see other people's perspective here.

1. Do you hear the "premium" sound of the synthesis set up?

2. Is it worth it to pursue an after market speaker to replace the JBL Synthesis?

3. Have you had any experience comparing the JBL synthensis with other premium audio system offered by automotive manufacturers

From how I test my audio system, i don't think that it sounds "premium". You?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Clearly you've done no research on this subject. Try do a search. There are dozens of threads on the crappy jbl system.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clearly you've done no research on this subject. Try do a search. There are dozens of threads on the crappy jbl system.
I bought JBL SB200, I would say that I'm impressed with it's sound, it clearly enhances our movie watching experience. I also use the it to play music from a blue tooth and i'm satisfied with it. The strange thing is that the one from my rav4 says that it has 11 speakers, which is almost half of what SB200 has. But the sound quality is better from SB200.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The JBL system uses the exact same head unit as the "regular Premium" audio system. The only difference is the JBL speakers and amp. But essentially they sound the same --- until you crank it LOUD. Then the differences are obvious. There's a 3-band EQ you can use to fine-tune, you'll want the bass all the way up except at ear-splitting levels. But if you're listening with the volume below about 20, you won't hear much difference between them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The JBL system uses the exact same head unit as the "regular Premium" audio system. The only difference is the JBL speakers and amp. But essentially they sound the same --- until you crank it LOUD. Then the differences are obvious. There's a 3-band EQ you can use to fine-tune, you'll want the bass all the way up except at ear-splitting levels. But if you're listening with the volume below about 20, you won't hear much difference between them.
Maybe I just need to understand this sound system, i increase the base and lows even the mids. sounds like it improves the sound quality. I'm happy with this so far

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Maybe I just need to understand this sound system, i increase the base and lows even the mids. sounds like it improves the sound quality. I'm happy with this so far
Well there's no question its not a great system, but it sucks less that most OEM sound systems. The key is to turn it up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry for my ignorance, is there JBL SB200 option in RAV4. At one point, I thought you were referring to synthesis sound bar system. Digital synthesis can be tricky nowadays in home audio. Anyway, the premium JBL in RAV4 does lack of bass (deep bass) from the sub woofer to my standard. Don't confuse with lack of bass in general. Indeed, there is pretty decent bass coming out from the rest of speakers but quality of the bass is not impressive. When there is sub woofer unit, deep bass is supposedly rich and solid. Bass comes from other full range speakers would somewhat be shallow and nearly distorted. Since real bass sound does require more power to drive, most of subwoofer setup would have a dedicated amp to drive it as an active setup comparing to the rest of speakers simply in passively driven by the head unit. In my 2016 Rav4 with premium JBL, I do hear bass punching out from front set of speakers. Many people may think they are good enough. However, this premium setup has dedicated sub in the back. The bass is expected to be much deeper as comparing to the rest of bass from other speakers. I am really disappointed the performance of this added sub woofer. Deep bass is unidirectional and it requires higher power to drive it. I am not sure why Toyota could fail on this sound option as such a simple setup to the design scheme.:confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
The site link shows JBL spec.
Sites-JB-US-Site

It has 8 channel - 576 W DSP amps. Same amps is used in Camry too. It sounds like the amps could be a weak link. I am wondering if there are any external adjustment nob can be played for tuning the sub unit.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for my ignorance, is there JBL SB200 option in RAV4. At one point, I thought you were referring to synthesis sound bar system. Digital synthesis can be tricky nowadays in home audio. Anyway, the premium JBL in RAV4 does lack of bass (deep bass) from the sub woofer to my standard. Don't confuse with lack of bass in general. Indeed, there is pretty decent bass coming out from the rest of speakers but quality of the bass is not impressive. When there is sub woofer unit, deep bass is supposedly rich and solid. Bass comes from other full range speakers would somewhat be shallow and nearly distorted. Since real bass sound does require more power to drive, most of subwoofer setup would have a dedicated amp to drive it as an active setup comparing to the rest of speakers simply in passively driven by the head unit. In my 2016 Rav4 with premium JBL, I do hear bass punching out from front set of speakers. Many people may think they are good enough. However, this premium setup has dedicated sub in the back. The bass is expected to be much deeper as comparing to the rest of bass from other speakers. I am really disappointed the performance of this added sub woofer. Deep bass is unidirectional and it requires higher power to drive it. I am not sure why Toyota could fail on this sound option as such a simple setup to the design scheme.:confused:
I notice the same thing the base is coming out from the front rather than the one from the back. I think there's a lack of fidelity from overall 11 speakers.

JVC SB200 is the one I use at home both from watching movie and listening to music, I'm impressed with that sound bar. And so i'm expecting high sound quality from this synthesis as well. Mind you that this sb200 sound bar only has about 6 speakers compared to 11 from my rav4

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am pretty sure the "Premium" JBL system in the 2016 Rav4 is using the JBL "GreenEdge" speakers, which I believe Toyota started using around 2011/2012 or so...as my 2010 Prius w/ JBL sounded GREAT and did NOT have the JBL GreenEdge speakers. Supposedly they use less power, hence the "green"...WHATEVER, if they sound dull and lifeless.

The Rav4 is advertised as having "11 speakers" because all 4 door speakers are "2-way" which means they consist of a woofer and a center mounted tweeter. So, in all, there are in fact 11 separate sound sources, but 4 of them are stacked on top of other speakers (the door woofers), which results in technically only 7 speakers: 2 in the dash, 4 in doors, 1 subwoofer. That make sense?

Another thing I miss about my Prius...the rear doors had separate tweeters located higher in the door, providing a fuller and clearer sound - especially in the rear seat.

I'd love to know if the power amp had any external adjustment knobs to help beef up the subwoofers signal.

EDIT: It is actually the 2 dash and 2 rear door speakers that are 2-way, totaling to "8". http://www.jbl.com/content?ContentID=toyota-rav4-us (Link might appear dead at first, then take a second to load)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am pretty sure the "Premium" JBL system in the 2016 Rav4 is using the JBL "GreenEdge" speakers, which I believe Toyota started using around 2011/2012 or so...as my 2010 Prius w/ JBL sounded GREAT and did NOT have the JBL GreenEdge speakers. Supposedly they use less power, hence the "green"...WHATEVER, if they sound dull and lifeless.

The Rav4 is advertised as having "11 speakers" because all 4 door speakers are "2-way" which means they consist of a woofer and a center mounted tweeter. So, in all, there are in fact 11 separate sound sources, but 4 of them are stacked on top of other speakers (the door woofers), which results in technically only 7 speakers: 2 in the dash, 4 in doors, 1 subwoofer. That make sense?

Another thing I miss about my Prius...the rear doors had separate tweeters located higher in the door, providing a fuller and clearer sound - especially in the rear seat.

I'd love to know if the power amp had any external adjustment knobs to help beef up the subwoofers signal.
That stacked speakers is driving me nuts to look for that 11 speaker panels. Now this explains why. I thought I was scammed with this rav4.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That stacked speakers is driving me nuts to look for that 11 speaker panels. Now this explains why. I thought I was scammed with this rav4.
I misspoke in my last post.
It is actually the 2 dash and 2 rear door speakers that are 2-way, totaling to "8" speakers.

More detailed info here:
http://www.jbl.com/content?ContentID=toyota-rav4-us
(Link might appear dead at first, then take a second to load)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I misspoke in my last post.
It is actually the 2 dash and 2 rear door speakers that are 2-way, totaling to "8" speakers.

More detailed info here:
http://www.jbl.com/content?ContentID=toyota-rav4-us
(Link might appear dead at first, then take a second to load)
But we got to admit, those speakers looks cool though. Too bad we invented speakers for it's sounds not for visuals

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
Just ran across this thread...my take is this JBL special system standard in the Limited is a real joke...sorry..maybe I'm spoiled but in my wife's RX350 we added the Mark Levinson system and again..disappointing..certainly better than the JBL but still what I'm pleased with is my HK (Harmon Kardon) system in my Mercedes ML63...something like 850 watts and 13 speakers and there's still a $6500 optional Burmester system to be had in the Merc.

So I guess it's all relevant to what you pay..that said the JBL is a let down...I'm not sure what the std sounds (can't be great considering the JBL) but if the JBL it would have been an option I would have saved my money and added aftermarket components..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts