Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Limited has the JBL system. I want to replace the door mid-tweeter speaker (2" one) with something else, because I don't hear too much top-end from it. Kind of normal if you think it's just a cheap, plain 2" diaphragm.

From what I can tell, the bigger speaker mounted lower in the door (6x9) is fed only low-mid range frequencies and the rest of audio frequencies are routed to this 2" speaker. Very nonstandard setup.
The crossover happens in the JBL (Harman) amplifier at what sounds to me 500-600 Hz (maybe I can test that tomorrow with a tone generator). So there is no point in upgrading the bigger (6x9) speaker in the door, it doesn't see high enough frequencies to matter.

I am looking at:
1. Use a bigger 3.5" dual way (coaxial) speaker. Advantage is that it will have a larger bandwidth. Disadvantage is that I need to cut a bigger hole in the door.
Something like this: Amazon.com: JBL GTO329 Premium 3.5-Inch Co-Axial Speaker - Set of 2: Car Electronics
2. Use an 1" tweeter with lower frequency extension. Advantage is that I can use the existing hole in the door. Disadvantage is that the best I can find goes down in frequency only to about 1.3kHz:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DID1TG4

3. Leave the door speakers as is and just parallel over the 2" door speaker the tweeter from #2 above. It will raise a tad the high frequencies, but that can be controlled from tone adjust (but I kind of like the a little bright). The bad part is that the impedance seen by the amplifier on that channel will drop. At high volumes, that can lead to overloading of the amp. At low volumes usually means higher distortions (harder to hear on high frequency sounds).

I wonder if the crossover inside of the amp is adjustable in any way, that would help.
Anyone here played with this JBL setup?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since nobody followed, I keep searching my myself. The opening in the door for the small midrange-tweeter is 62mm=2.44" (oversized for the 2" speaker).
I found a 3" wide range tweeter that seems that can fit behind that hole better. Bolt circle diameter is 64mm=2.52".

It's specs are here: https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/295-380-dayton-audio-rs75-4-spec-sheet-revised.pdf
Nice frequency sweep, especially for off-center angles. Might worth a try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts