Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I received a request from JD Powers to complete an online initial quality survey for my 3-month old RAV4. Generally I don't participate in these types of surveys. These days even when you buy a cup of coffee someone wants you to complete a survey. The JD Powers thing went in my recycling bin but I was tempted to complain about the fueling problem and the Toyota app not working so far. So I'm just curious what others have done with their JDP survey if they got one?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I started filling it out online but it got really complicated and time consuming. I figured the way they were asking the questions I was being led in a certain direction so I stopped and trashed the request.

I get a kick out of the term "initial quality". I would rather fill out a "long term quality" survey; this would be much more beneficial. Basically, did all of the "tricks" to get the initial quality last.

·
Registered
323 Posts
According to TV ads, Chevrolet won the JD Powers Initial Quality survey. So much for JD Powers.
A friend of mine bought a 2020 Siverado. Not enough room or time to detail his Initial Quality issues. He left on a multi state trip a few days ago. Don't know if I will ever see him again.

·
Registered
770 Posts
He went on a voyage like the Titanic :eek:

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
J.D. Powers quality awards are a joke. Have awarded quality awards to companies which have had abysmal customer service reports. Compare J.D. Powers "quality" assessment regarding Chevrolet with data reported in Consumer Reports, for example. A few years ago my wife and I bought laptop computers, different models, from a large company which had great J.D. Powers ratings. Both computers had issue after issue which the company could only partially fix. The FedEx driver wore ruts in the road leading to and from our house.

·
Registered
315 Posts
JD Powers and Motorweek. A "Kiss my butt and I'll kiss yours" relationship. I watched Motorweek's Car of the Year segment on the Rav4 Hybrid. Not one peep about any issues, even on the long term test. I will never believe anything they give their stamp of approval on ever again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You guys really should fill out the surveys. Believe it or not, their awards are data-driven, so it’s self-licking to throw the surveys in the trash and then bash the results. Also, you especially shouldn’t toss them if you think Toyota needs to improve it’s game. (I, for one, think they’re resting on their reputation and becoming more mistake-prone.)

Lastly, it seems some of you don’t understand the awards...

“Initial quality” is basically a reflection of how happy new customers are with their brand new cars and whether they’ve had any trouble right out of the gate (first 90 days). It doesn’t mean the car is any good.

“Quality and Reliability” category is a reflection of how many problems a car has had within the first 3 years. As such, this years awards apply to the 2017 models.

While I agree neither of those awards are a bellwether for, say, 7 years of ownership (national avg), a 7-year survey is worthless to new car buyers because the model would often get redesigned before the results were published. So that’s why JDP scopes the surveys the way they do.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys really should fill out the surveys. Believe it or not, their awards are data-driven, so it’s self-licking to throw the surveys in the trash and then bash the results. Also, you especially shouldn’t toss them if you think Toyota needs to improve it’s game. (I, for one, think they’re resting on their reputation and becoming more mistake-prone.)

Lastly, it seems some of you don’t understand the awards...

“Initial quality” is basically a reflection of how happy new customers are with their brand new cars and whether they’ve had any trouble right out of the gate (first 90 days). It doesn’t mean the car is any good.

“Quality and Reliability” category is a reflection of how many problems a car has had within the first 3 years. As such, this years awards apply to the 2017 models.

While I agree neither of those awards are a bellwether for, say, 7 years of ownership (national avg), a 7-year survey is worthless to new car buyers because the model would often get redesigned before the results were published. So that’s why JDP scopes the surveys the way they do.
While Consumers Reports' vehicle surveys are not without flaws, I tend to find them more credible because CR does not rely on ad revenue for funding. Consumer Reports is an independent and nonprofit member organization. This is pretty much the opposite of JDP which sells their ratings to the manufacturers that they rate. And why should JDP make a profit from my time completing their lengthy surveys? Oh yeah, and a chance to win $50,000. Come on...

·
Registered
23 Posts
While Consumers Reports' vehicle surveys are not without flaws, I tend to find them more credible because CR does not rely on ad revenue for funding. Consumer Reports is an independent and nonprofit member organization. This is pretty much the opposite of JDP which sells their ratings to the manufacturers that they rate. And why should JDP make a profit from my time completing their lengthy surveys? Oh yeah, and a chance to win $50,000. Come on...
Easy, because companies care about their reputation. Toyota deserves some flak for releasing a vehicle with as many problems as the RAV4. It kills me when I keep seeing the car blindly praised based on a reputation it no longer deserves.

And the survey takes like 10 minutes. If we really dissect our days, we all give away much more time for another’s profit in many ways, so I think that’s not a great way of thinking about it. It really shouldn’t bother us that JDP sells the detailed data - would you rather Toyota not know where it needs to improve?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Easy, because companies care about their reputation. Toyota deserves some flak for releasing a vehicle with as many problems as the RAV4. It kills me when I keep seeing the car blindly praised based on a reputation it no longer deserves.

And the survey takes like 10 minutes. If we really dissect our days, we all give away much more time for another’s profit in many ways, so I think that’s not a great way of thinking about it. It really shouldn’t bother us that JDP sells the detailed data - would you rather Toyota not know where it needs to improve?
I'm pretty sure that Toyota knows where improvements are needed based on the vehicles returned for warranty repairs. I'm certain many others will be happy to complete their JDP surveys. I still won't be one of them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Toyota knows where improvements are needed based on the vehicles returned for warranty repairs. I'm certain many others will be happy to complete their JDP surveys. I still won't be one of them.
Haha, spoken like the 45% that doesn’t vote. ;)

And the auto companies must get something out of the data, otherwise why would they pay for it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
You should fill the survey! JD Power is reputable and this is literally the only time anyone will give you experience 2 shits outside of this forum. The initial quality rating is a reflection of how many headaches you’ve had within the first year. Your opinion on this forum has less weight than that ranking. Giving your postal code at the grocery shop is bullshit, but filling out that survey will help others with into the same way you’d appreciate when it’s time to buy another vehicle. Where do you think data like this comes from? If it was solely from the manufacturer or dealership and not the owners, even VW would have a perfect record.

·
Registered
60 Posts
According to TV ads, Chevrolet won the JD Powers Initial Quality survey. So much for JD Powers.
A friend of mine bought a 2020 Siverado. Not enough room or time to detail his Initial Quality issues. He left on a multi state trip a few days ago. Don't know if I will ever see him again.
Did he fill out the survey? Every time I hear about reasons people don’t call the police for a break in or vote, it was ends with an angry story that goes nowhere. Nobody will do anything in the medium term about these problems unless your participate. His poor experience should count, and inform others, outside a 2nd hand account, on a completely different manufacturer forum. Chevy and GMC have very well regarded reliability. It’s is 100% possible he got a lemon and there are laws (that take too much of your time...) to get out. It sucks but that doesn’t mean this survey does as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes but that information is for YOU to help with decision making not the Oscars for car makers! The fund it so someone is showing the world their reputation vs others. Even if Toyota was the only one funding it, as long as it’s based on data it’s more useful than straight marketing ads.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes but that information is for YOU to help with decision making not the Oscars for car makers! The fund it so someone is showing the world their reputation vs others. Even if Toyota was the only one funding it, as long as it’s based on data it’s more useful than straight marketing ads.
Does JDP actually test any vehicles? I think not. Survey data can be twisted in all sorts of ways so I generally ignore it especially if someone is profiting from it. I have seen this first hand in the "employee engagement" surveys at work. I'm not saying JDP is worthless. I just happen to be a survey skeptic.

·
Registered
8,118 Posts
As posted previously I have serious reservations about J.D. Power surveys as surveys easily can be skewed, but at least their latest vehicle reliability appears to reflect similar results as other surveys have revealed.

·
Registered
457 Posts
As posted previously I have serious reservations about J.D. Power surveys as surveys easily can be skewed, but at least their latest vehicle reliability appears to reflect similar results as other surveys have revealed.
Vehicle reliability For JD is 3 years. A 1980 yugo probably lasted 3 years - ie this survey is a joke.

They put all the work on the customer then sell the rights to advertise "winning" the award to the companies that supposedly won, so don't tell me they don't manipulate the results to match with the company most likely being willing to pay up.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts