Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for clear headlights to replace the yellow lights in the front of my Rav. Or if I can purchase red film to cover the yellow lights in the front, where may I be able to purchase those?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey man, im from sf too. red film is illegal in the front, and jdm heads just cost too much, you can check those out in the link section of this site, click the 4.2 accessories link and click on auto fashion's link.

those people are really unorganized though, i called em emailed em and ask for a quote for a single part and they never replied back with that price.

if you like taking risk, you can just place those in an oven and bake em at 250 degress for 10 mintues.... and all that stuff

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best Headlight Bulbs

The best H4 headlights for overall brightness (+50% brighter) are the European models - Osram Silverstar and Philips Vision Plus. Both are Xenon filled and clear glass bulbs - not blue coated which robs light output. These are standard wattage 60/55W bulbs, not over wattage.

The Osram Silverstar are NOT the same bulbs as the Sylvania Silverstar sold in the US, which is blue coated. Stay away from blue coated bulbs that filter out most of the light. Whiter light does not mean brighter - it just causes more glare with reduced light output.

I tried both +50% bulb brands, but liked the Philips Vision Plus the best. They were slightly whiter and had a better pattern on the road than the Silverstars, but both are very good bulbs.

You can order these from the UK, including free shipping (I got them in 5 days on the east coast) from http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk/aftrack.asp?ID=32 for about $28 a pair.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yellow Fog Lights

I've tried a number of 'Yellow' 9006 fog lights in my RAV4. It depends a lot on what color of yellow you are trying to achieve.

The PIAA Ion Crystal HB4 (9006) produced the deepest (2500°K) Yellow color, but these run about $100 a pair. These are a longer bulb than standard 9006 bulbs and required the lamps to be adjusted higher. These are good bulbs, but I don't know how long they will last at that high price.

The Philips AllWeather 'Selective Yellow' are about (2900°K), and work very well in the rain and fog, with no blue or purple light around the edges. These run about $22 a pair from the UK.

I've tried Nokya (3000°K) and MTEC (3300°K) 'yellow' bulbs, and found both lights had a lot of 'blue' and 'purple' light in them, which I did not like.

I've selected the Philips AllWeather to run with, and am thinking of trying the AllWeather H4's as well for the winter months.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JDM

One thing to remember if you are replacing any US headlights with a JDM part is that they drive on the left hand side in Japan, so the beam pattern on your new JDM headlights lights will point to the left, not to the right.

This means you will be blinding all oncoming drivers with your new JDM headlights, and that will get you pulled over faster than anyone noticing your DOT required front side orange reflectors are missing.

Left side includes Japan, most of Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaca, Bahamas, and the UK. I guess most all island countries drive on the left side. Maybe it's a good thing they can't get off those islands too easily :)

The smart thing to do if find a country where they drive on the right side of the road, and order a set of headlights from there, assuming you can get them without the orange reflectors in them.

Anyone know of a country that drives on the right that does not require orange side reflectors? Got any photos from Toyota websites?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you mean the signals that are integrated with the headlights? You can bake them, open tham and remove the reflectors. I've done it on two of my Subarus.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Roll your eyes if you like. You can bake them in the oven and then peel them apart. If that's too hard to understand, click here

·
Registered
875 Posts
Alternative solution. You can clear the headlamps youself and use what they call "stealth" bulbs. It will appear silver from the outside when the lights are off, but will blink orange! Safely and looks all in one package. I found the bulbs on some bmw site and cannot find it again, but i'm sure it's available. look around and good luck w/your project.

Personally, i think the clear headlamps look best on a black car...not so much on a silver one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts