Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Do these clear tail lights project white light to the rear while driving? Or only a weak red light? If so they're likely illegal in the U.S. Check DOT standards,and many states specifically prohibit them. One example, from the Texas Dept. of Public Safety:

"Tail Lamp
  • Every motor vehicle shall be equipped with at least two tail lamps, unless vehicle was manufactured prior to 1960, in which case your vehicle is required to be equipped with one (1) tail lamp mounted on the rear which, when illuminated, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 1,000 feet to the rear."
They have red leds for the park lights, red for the brake, white for reverse and orange for turn. The only thing that's white is the outer and inner plastic shells which make it white/clear, at night you will not see a difference, only during the day it will make them more appealing or make your Rav4 look different than other rav's. So if you want to have a unique looking Rav4 than these are the way to go.

Sent from my HTC One X using AutoGuide App

Reactions: Blogson

·
Registered
340 Posts
If they are genuine toyota japan part (the ones with red reflectors on the side and red stripe around the light) then the brake and running light will be bright red led similar to the facelift tail or the lexus rx330 tails. Which will pass DOT.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just a pet peeve of mine I hate when anything clear is called JDM.

Click here ?ACA36 ????????? - Yahoo!??????

One yen is about equivalent to .01 cent US so 7000 yen is $70.00 approx give or take a few bucks.

you can get any of these REAL JDM lights shipped almost anywhere for 1/4-1/3rd the price of the link posted. Some are very cool with partial clear and red.
Anybody done this?

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
265 Posts
I ended up getting the ones I liked. They were cheap, used and bought in a site that no one knew or have heard about i, so I was pretty nervous. But when they got here they were in perfect condition, Im not kidding they didnt have anything the could say that they were used.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Anybody done this?
I have bought stuff for my Rav4 from Rakuten. Usually they don't ship abroad so some referral service have to be used eg. Tenso.

When you buy item form Rakuten you pay it with your own information but you insert referral service address as shipping address. Usually they will the you fee ship it forward but that's only way to get something in reasonable price.
Must say all items from Rakuten have been like described. Something that can say from some else webshops.

Some taillights:
Rakuten: aca33 Taillights Exterior Parts Car Accessories - Shopping Japanese products from Japan

·
Registered
322 Posts
I ended up getting the ones I liked. They were cheap, used and bought in a site that no one knew or have heard about i, so I was pretty nervous. But when they got here they were in perfect condition, Im not kidding they didnt have anything the could say that they were used.
What site?

·
Registered
265 Posts
thanks! ordered the tail lights like the ones in your gallery...not totally clear, but I'm planning to nite shade them anyway.

Looks like generally positive reviews ordering from them.
No problem, Like I said I was lucky and mines were in great shape and even came with bulbs. Hope the same for you.

About the taillights they have 18 LED on each side but they are brighter than the stock ones only when brakes applied others wise is pretty much the same

·
Registered
322 Posts
well...not so fast.
website got recently revamped, and it was displaying old stock apparently, so...no lights for me!
bummer.
said they'd process a refund.

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
well...not so fast.
website got recently revamped, and it was displaying old stock apparently, so...no lights for me!
bummer.
said they'd process a refund.
Not to worry, I will post a link for the same type of lights from yahoo auctions japan and I will post a link to a website that is the middleman ( they will buy and ship them to you).

http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s315280000 , http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s315280002
All clear: http://page14.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/s326705879
http://buyee.jp/

·
Registered
44 Posts
Damn it! It's times like these that I wish I hadn't given up on Japanese in high school! Any english sites selling the clear lights?

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Damn it! It's times like these that I wish I hadn't given up on Japanese in high school! Any english sites selling the clear lights?
Yes, ebay. Search for "Rav4 clear tail lights", then you will see them in the search results.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

·
Premium Member
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

·
Registered
322 Posts