Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2004 RAV4 which has done in excess of 400, 000km. Recently it has started 'jerking' when you press lightly on the accelerator. I thought I would try a higher octane fuel so I switched to 97 octane (New Zealand) and ever since then the car has been running fine. Is this possibly a spark plug issue or is the fuel filter blocked. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. David

·
Read Only
33 Posts
jumps forward

Just got the car. 2005 with 84k miles. Learning how to deal with it. When I put it in gear and start to drive, the slightest touch on the gas pedal makes it jump forward. Tire chirp nearly every time - unless I very carefully feather the pedal. It does it when driving along as well, but since I'm in a higher gear the effect is not as noticeable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Could have been water in the gas. Probably would go away with a new tank of gas. Or you can put in 'dry gas' to absorb the water in the current tank of gas.

·
Read Only
33 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Will do that. In the meantime, I begin to think there may be something in the way I treat the gas pedal. To avoid the sudden jump off the line, I have been developing the habit of a very very light touch when starting up at a light or coming out of a driveway.

After a week or two of that, I got into our Prius V, started out of the driveway and wondered what was wrong: there was hardly any power there! Realized I was barely touching the gas pedal. Went back to "normal" pressure and it seemed like the good old Prius again. I have had the RAV only a bit over a week so it could be that I just have to get used to the way it responds.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Just got the car. 2005 with 84k miles. Learning how to deal with it. When I put it in gear and start to drive, the slightest touch on the gas pedal makes it jump forward. Tire chirp nearly every time - unless I very carefully feather the pedal. It does it when driving along as well, but since I'm in a higher gear the effect is not as noticeable.

You didn't complete your profile so all that forum members know about your vehicle is the limited info in your post. If it has a manual gearbox then some practice when engaging the clutch and using the throttle when starting from a stop should cure the tire chirping situation. If it has an automatic gearbox then as you suspect some practice using the accelerator pedal should help. But your RAV shouldn't be jerking while driving along unless you are varying your pressure on the accelerator pedal. I have ridden with a few people who drive even at a supposedly constant speed and constantly change the pressure on the pedal and the result is a jerky ride.

·
Read Only
33 Posts
I think the lighter touch on the pedal is the answer. I'm continuing to get used to easing it into motion at stop lights, etc. It is so different from the Mustang I traded for it! Thanks for your suggestions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts