Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2010 Rav4 V-6. I have reviewed previous posts relating to a jerky (as in too touchy) throttle response from a stop. I had the same problem with a 2010 Tundra and never got used to the touchy throttle. Most responses on this issue with the Rav4 are "you will get used to it". Well I do not think I will "get used to it" so am asking if there other solutions. I have not cleaned the intake system and will do that. BUT, assuming that does not fix it has anyone tried another solution that actually worked. And no, selling it is not the preferred option.

Love the acceleration of the V-6 I just don't want it so quickly from a stop.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
You need to apply pedal pressure slower on a V6. Just apply pressure lightly when on a light and gradually apply pressure instead of stepping on it all the way down like a 4 cylinder engine.

This is the only way to avoid the jerky throttle response because there is too much power all at once. You can't correct the pedal if you step on it hard and then let go.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
There may be hope, Ken. Somewhere on the forum one of our members replaced the accelerator pedal with one from a later year. He actually swapped it with his father's RAV as I recall, and they were both happier. Is your RAV4 made in Japan (J VIN) or Canada? The Japanese built RAV4 used a Denso pedal and the Canadian used CTS if I recall correctly.

I think this is the thread:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/96-4-3-general/93834-accell-pedal-question.html#post952882

·
Registered
8,529 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
You may want to check if your '10 rav4 was ever fixed under the smart stop recall. After the ecu re-flash was done on my 09 rav4, the throttle response was smoother.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Also at least one user has suggested modifying the electronic throttle control system for the V6:

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/99-4-3-mechanical/73413-v6-touchy-throttle-takeoff-passing-7.html

I haven't modified mine and after nearly six years I still occasionally have problems with faster-than-desired takeoffs from stops. The "secret" with the stock setup is to have a very light touch, but sometimes that's more easily said than done.
I have the same issue when switching between our 4cyl Camry and the V6 Rav!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts