Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's an invitation for Primers to share a picture of their MID to officially join the 50 Mile High Club!!

We have had our Prime XSE for almost one month and have just over 1,000 miles on the vehicle, all of it at 6,000 feet elevation and regularly chilly temperatures. This morning we achieved our goal of a 50 mile range (distance to empty) on a full charge. And so, it is official, we are in the club!!

I am curious who out there will lay claim to the longest EV range. How high can that number get? Anyone getting 60 miles? Let's see some pix please!!

Also excited that after 1,000 miles we still have a quarter tank of the dealership's gas. According to our Chargepoint Flex (level 2), we have spent $35 to charge since we bought the car, roughly 4 cents a mile. I'm happy with that charger and its app.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You people are only posting photos of computer estimates of all-electric range, not "proof" that you've gone 50 miles in only all-electric mode. I don't have proof, but a couple weeks ago we were able to drive close to 55 miles in all-electric driving with a full charge with average temperature about 38 degrees F, which is very impressive (but speeds always < 50 mph; at higher speeds, range is much lower). Oh, and I'm near sea level, so not the mile-high club, sorry... But we do have a lot more air to carve through than you do at 6000 feet elevation. :)

·
Registered
2021 Rav4 Prime max trim
327 Posts
I posted 50 miles of EV on a charge last Oct as winter set in and sapped EV miles; Your max EV miles?

Now the temps are finally nice and my EV miles on a charge just got back to 50 EV miles on March 26th. Included are 2 full previous charges showing slow progress to 50 EV miles.
20210326_231841.jpeg

·
Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE
1 Posts
I know it’s just an estimate, but my wife’s XSE typically displays 51 mile range on a full charge. Had it for about a month and have been very happy with the purchase so far.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Suppose one regularly does 100-mile trips and takes the trouble on those trips to run EV only on the downhills, and never on the ups (I live near 10000 ft in Colo; someone who commuted from up here to Denver could very easily do this regularly). Then the mi/kWh rate will easily exceed 3.1 and could be bumped up to much higher. And I THINK the EV range is just the product of that rate by the number of kWh (about 15.5 I gather). I noticed this anomaly in the mi/kWh reading on one such 100-mile trip, and so it is clear to me that that the mi/kWh rate is not to be taken very seriously (unless one often resets it, but I prefer seeing the lifetime number), and I think this implies the same for the "EV miles left". Further, I have deduced that the "%age EV" number on the MID is based on time, not distance; that seems really bad; totally useless really -- why should time spent parked or at lights be at all relevant? All minor points: Love the vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OP here, with an update: Still on first tank of gas. Temperatures are warming up. Projected "Distance to Empty" is now 52. I'll be curious if I can get to the 58 miles (93 Km) that Zaiby is posting, perhaps as summer temperatures allow. Zaiby's is the number to beat - based on the screenshot method that I am suggesting for consistency.

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
23 Posts
OP here, with an update: Still on first tank of gas. Temperatures are warming up. Projected "Distance to Empty" is now 52. I'll be curious if I can get to the 58 miles (93 Km) that Zaiby is posting, perhaps as summer temperatures allow. Zaiby's is the number to beat - based on the screenshot method that I am suggesting for consistency. View attachment 165098
Similar with my R4P - I drive 9.6 miles each way to work. I am now able to get three round trips in each charge - or total of 57.6 on a charge. ICE did not kick in on even though EV Distance read 0 miles :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Similar with my R4P - I drive 9.6 miles each way to work. I am now able to get three round trips in each charge - or total of 57.6 on a charge. ICE did not kick in on even though EV Distance read 0 miles :)
That EV % age reader on the MID is a time proportion not a distance proportion. I wondered hard about that, but gathered some evidence and believe this must be the case. And it resets for every trip. So I don't understand how "ICE did not kick in" and EV %age reads 0. I wish there was an "EV Distance" gauge in miles, but there is not. Getting 57.6 miles on a charge is fantastic. How are you certain it was all on EV? I guess one way is to reset the HISTORY MPG item and see if it reads 199 mpg after 57 miles.

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
23 Posts
That EV % age reader on the MID is a time proportion not a distance proportion. I wondered hard about that, but gathered some evidence and believe this must be the case. And it resets for every trip. So I don't understand how "ICE did not kick in" and EV %age reads 0. I wish there was an "EV Distance" gauge in miles, but there is not. Getting 57.6 miles on a charge is fantastic. How are you certain it was all on EV? I guess one way is to reset the HISTORY MPG item and see if it reads 199 mpg after 57 miles.
In the past, when I hit 0 miles left in EV mode, the ICE kicks in and car does Hybrid as best as it can.

EV mode indicator on the whole trip back. ICE is pretty noisy compared to EV only.

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
23 Posts
In the past, when I hit 0 miles left in EV mode, the ICE kicks in and car does Hybrid as best as it can.

EV mode indicator on the whole trip back. ICE is pretty noisy compared to EV only.
also, as for distance travelled, same route every day - I wrote down the trip distance at end of trip.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts